Unanswered: When FAILARCHPATH fills up?

AIX - DB2

We have a bit of a situation at our site. TSM is broken and is going to take a day or two to fix.

Our production databases have got FAILARCHPATH set to separate mount points on each server.

I am calculating from log size and the number of logs archived over the last 60 days how many days grace the FAILARCHPATH will give each database - or how long the engineers have got to fix the TSM server.

When FAILARCHPATH fills up, I take it DB2 will use the primary / secondary log location and that will gradually fill up as well?

An example using simple numbers. The database generates 5Gb of archive logs a day.
    FAILARCHPATH has got 30Gb free
    primary log location has got 10Gb free (allowing space for primary logs and secondaries created / removed)

Therefore have I got (30 + 10) / 5 = 8 days of archive log space?

Thanks for reading this.

Provided Answers: 5
    It sounds reasonable to me. Although when TSM is fixed, will the log files from FAILARCHPATH get archived to TSM at that point? If not, and you are doing regular backups, then you can manually delete the older logs (> 2 days older than last backup) from the FAILARCHPATH. This would give you more time.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    Although when TSM is fixed, will the log files from FAILARCHPATH get archived to TSM at that point?
    It should. When TSM is operational again, db2 will move them from FAILARCHPATH to TSM.

Quote Originally Posted by BELLO4KA View Post
    It should. When TSM is operational again, db2 will move them from FAILARCHPATH to TSM.
    Yes - I have seen this happen. Looking at the db2diag.log will show attempts from the the FAILARCHPATH to move the archive log to TSM.

Thank you both.

@ARWinner - I appreciated your quick response. I would have posted last night from home but forgot my password!

As a side note, have you considered 'tuning' NUMARCHRETRY and archretrydelay config parms to reduce the impact of TSM being down? I have seen systems slow down when the archives retries happen.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s View Post
    As a side note, have you considered 'tuning' NUMARCHRETRY and archretrydelay config parms to reduce the impact of TSM being down? I have seen systems slow down when the archives retries happen.
    I hadn't, but that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

ARCHRETRYDELAY appears to be dynamic but NUMARCHRETRY isn't sadly.

TSM is working again now which is good news. Thank you everyone for helping me out.

Looking at the db2diag.log it is now evident that if FAILARCHPATH does ever fill up, then the logs (that should be archived) will stay in the log directory.