Question Unanswered: Help with Sequentially Numbered Access Database

I am trying to put together a database that includes a sequentially numbered field that i can control. I work with a police department and this would keep track of reports that are filed by citizens.

Generally the number should look like "2011" (year) then "0000001" (report number) or "20110000001". I actually have a database that can handle that, but the twist is that when an arrest report is entered the first "0" of the report number must change to a "4".

For example, a damage to property report is filed and gets a number of 20110004567. Next, an arrest report is entered and should get a number of 20114004568. The report number keeps the same sequential numbering, but that "4" is placed in that spot to specifically indicate an arrest.

Can anyone help me with this? If you need any other information or if I can clear up any questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

See example attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CounterModel.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's awesome!

What you have here is pretty much what I need. However, there are more types of reports that will be entered (Breaking & Entering, Assault, Burglary, etc (almost unlimited list)). The arrest Number thing works great. How can I enter those other incident types? Or how do I make them part of the list without changing that first "0"? Arrest reports are the only reports that the number changes.

I assumed that you will ask me for the following types of documents. My experience has shown that a real system has more than 999 types of documents, so I used to practice more than 3 digits for the type of document that I attached the new corrected. I think that was a better option if the ID is reset if changed type of document or years (Counter2.zip). In this way the counter would be less, and thus it continues to grow throughout the year.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eremija; 07-13-11 at 13:32.