Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selecting a DBMS to Learn

I would like to know what DBMS you guys would suggest learning and why? Oracle, SQL Server, etc. I am a college student interested in perusing a career as a production DBA. I have had a class on databases specifically already and the topic comes up frequently in other classes/projects. In my database class we learned SQL and used Oracle, primarily working in SQL Plus and just wrote the SQL statements to create tables, run queries etc.

I would learn the platform Twitter just used to replace Ruby on Rails on it's backend. Scala? I am not sure it is a RDBMS. I just here a lot about multi core usage...
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

it's not a RDBMS. Whoops.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
    I would like to know what DBMS you guys would suggest learning and why?
    mysql

because it's free, it's dead simple to install (even a non-DBA like me can do it), really easy to use (if you install a front end app like HeidiSQL), and, more importantly, it's so ubiquitous
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

There was an artical I thought about sending you Rudy. It was all about how Facebook is tangled up and trying to figure a way out of it's 4000 server MySQL implimentation.

Of course I hate all of that NOSQL and NewSQL talk. Bunch of hooey. A poor craftsman always blames his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    ...trying to figure a way out of it's 4000 server MySQL implimentation.
    let's not even ~think~ about how fscked up they woulda been if they had tried it on ahem microsoft sql server
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

man, i hate web pages like that

it's like downloading a full-length movie before the browser relinquishes control back to me and lets me start scrolling (i'm a fast reader)

stupid corporate bells and whistles idiots

look at this --

297,095 bytes HTML
    415,789 bytes Images
    220,380 bytes Javascript
    204,461 bytes CSS

"total number of objects on this page is 59 which by their number will dominate web page delay"
    -- Web Page Analyzer - free website optimization tool website speed test check website performance report from web site optimization
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

No broadband to your igloo in the great white north?

No broadband to your igloo in the great white north?
    ha ha

notice, though, how i successfully deflected the topic away from the favourite subject of resident dbforums habitués (mysql bashing), to compensating for the embarassment of living in cesspool amerika by making fun of a superior culture (canada bashing)

yeah, i have cable internet, and that page still sucks the big one

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

I would'nt pat yourself on the back too hard. I am easily distracted like a baby and a set of keys.

I think that writer is confusing "poorly designed application" with "runs on MySQL". It ind of reminds me of this: But is your database web scale? - Bentalkstrash

that is HILARIOUS!!! thanks so much, mcrowley

"why not write to devnull? it's fast as hell"

"does devnull support sharding?"

"holy shit! for my own mental health i'm going to assume you're just messing with me and aren't actually retarded"

classic
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

thanks for that. make sure you have headphones if you are at work for that one.