Unanswered: How to Design This DB

Hi All,

I am working on a database where the sole purpose will be to enter numbers given to a District Manager by the regional managers to track their numbers by quarter. They want the DB to retain the data each quarter, but start clean the next quarter. So basically they want to be able to archive each quarter's data, and start fresh each new quarter. I'm scratching my head a bit, because I know how to design the DB assuming they didn't need to retain the previous data. I've designed some Access DBs before, and was Microsoft Certified in Access 2000, but I've become a bit rusty.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 59
    why archive stuff off
    'just' define what the time periods are
    stuff the data into wahtever table(s) you require
    then extract the data as required
    given a good enough design then you can also run compratives against other time periods

eg this quarter 2011 against last quarter 2011, this quarter 2011, this quarter 2010 and so on

flushing the data doesn't make sense unless you have some other problem such as available storage space
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    why archive stuff off
    'just' define what the time periods are
    stuff the data into wahtever table(s) you require
    then extract the data as required
    given a good enough design then you can also run compratives against other time periods

eg this quarter 2011 against last quarter 2011, this quarter 2011, this quarter 2010 and so on

flushing the data doesn't make sense unless you have some other problem such as available storage space
    Ok so are you saying make a table for each quarter or am I missing something?

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by dlester View Post
    Ok so are you saying make a table for each quarter or am I missing something?
    No, and yes you probably are missing something:-
    have one table for all your sales data
    define a table elsewhere which describes the periodic element (eg quarters)

then extract the data as required according to the periodic table

at a guess I think you'd be better off defining financial months, rather than quarters (or as well as quarters) so you can solve what ever periodic time series question your users are going to throw at you.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton