Unanswered: Evaluating PSQL 11

I am trying to evaluate the latest offering of Pervasive. We are a longtime Btrieve shop that stayed behind on Btrieve 6.5. We would like to take advantage of the SQL side of the product.

Here is my setup

A server will need to service a common database used by many clients at the same time. I can create a database on the server to point to the location of the files and everybody can connect to this database.

However, I have about 300 additional databases that contain Customer specific data. They are separated for security and proprietary data reasons. Each is in own physical location with a number of files. The client application needs to be connecting to any of these customer databases based upon user selection.

Here are my questions:

1. Can the server be instructed in some way to connect to a given Customer database from a shared database definition?

2. Creating 300+ databases on the server doesn't seem practical, is there a way to control the database connections from the client?

When we looked at the product in the past, we couldn't see any way around this problem. However, it seems such a major limitation that we might just be overlooking some simple mechanism.

TIA

Bernhard

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bernhardz View Post
    1. Can the server be instructed in some way to connect to a given Customer database from a shared database definition?
    I'm not sure if this would work or not. PSQL is not really designed to behave that way. You can create a Database Name that points to a set of DDFs in one directory and data files in another directory. You possibly could use one set of DDFs for all 300 databases but you'd want to test.

Quote Originally Posted by bernhardz View Post
    2. Creating 300+ databases on the server doesn't seem practical, is there a way to control the database connections from the client?
    You can create Database Names and ODBC DSNs from the client (or server) using the Distributed Tuning Interface (or Distributed Tuning Objects).
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Evaluating PSQL 11

Thanks for the reply..

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    I'm not sure if this would work or not. PSQL is not really designed to behave that way. You can create a Database Name that points to a set of DDFs in one directory and data files in another directory. You possibly could use one set of DDFs for all 300 databases but you'd want to test.
    Using one set of DDF's is not a problem since the table structures are all the same. As a matter of fact , it would be preferable that way.

You can create Database Names and ODBC DSNs from the client (or server) using the Distributed Tuning Interface (or Distributed Tuning Objects).
    Thanks for the pointer. I will research that. If the client application can create the datasource on the server on demand if it doesn't exist, than the number of datasources doesn't become such an issue.

Bernhard