Question Unanswered: Retain data entered on Navigation Subform

I have a navigation form in Access 2010 that I am using to enter Employee Information. The Navigation Form has two levels of navigation (e.g. two control buttons, each with two control buttons below them.)

My first navigation control button is "ADD EMPLOYEE" which has two control buttons linked to it, that each hold a subform, "Employee Info" and "Contact Info".

I would like to be able to add information on the "Employee Info" subform (which adds data to my "tblEMPLOYEES" table). However when I switch to the "Contact Info" subform the data from the "Employee Info" subform is written and I am now on a new 'blank' record. Thus giving me two records with the information I want in one record.

I would also like to be able to switch between subforms and keep the entered data visible.

I hope I am making sense. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Provided Answers: 59
    strictly speaking an employees contact info is an attribute of the employee so it should be a sub type / table realted to the employee. in access form dersign that measn the contact infor should be a subform on the employee info subform, not a separate seemingly unrelated form. my guess is that your problem realtes to the link field on the sub forms.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Re: Navigation Forms

Well maybe because I am not all that familiar with Access Navigation Forms, we are getting mixed up on what I am trying to do.

First, I want to keep all the information about my employee in one table. If you are saying that this method is a design flaw, then I will consider changing it. But I do not know exactly what the scope of dividing the data into two different tables will entail.

Second, I like the look of the Navigation Form where the user can basically go to a new "TAB", so I'm not sure i want to put the "Contact Info" subform on the "Employee Info" subform.

So are you saying what I would like to do; cant be done, or is not how you would do it??

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Provided Answers: 59
    if you store the stuff in one table then use one form What you are doing is the opposite of the more usual problem where people have stuff from more than one table in one form which is a lot trickier to deal with unless you go down the unbound controls route

that presumes that your business requirement only allows for one set of contact data per employee, whereas in the more modern idiom there can be mulitple phone numbers (work, work1...workn, fax (conceivabley fax1...faxn), home, home1...., mobile, woirk email, private email and so on.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton