Unanswered: Error message on inserting from a path link

This is the code I am using, why do I have an error message about the path? I tested out the link myself, I can open the file using that link when search for it. Is there a certain way to write the path link? Please let me know. Thanks.

BULK INSERT [EDA].[DATES] FROM 'C:\Documents and Settings\bt\Desktop\Date-Time Tables.xlsx' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = ';', ROWTERMINATOR = '\n')

GO

INSERT INTO [EDA4010].[DATES]
    (
    [MSFTDATE],
    [REALDATE],
    [INTWEEK] ,
    [INTMONTH],
    [INTQUARTER] ,
    [INTYEAR] ,
    [INTNUMWEEKS] ,
    [CHRDAY]
    )
    SELECT
    [MSFTDATE],
    [REALDATE],
    [INTWEEK] ,
    [INTMONTH],
    [INTQUARTER],
    [INTYEAR] ,
    [INTNUMWEEKS] ,
    [CHRDAY]
    FROM [EDA].[DATES]
    GO

Error:

Msg 4861, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot bulk load because the file "C:\Documents and Settings\bt\Desktop\Date-Time Tables.xlsx" could not be opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

Provided Answers: 11
    I am going to guess that the file is on your laptop or desktop machine, and not on the server itself. BULKINSERT is a command that is sent to the server, and not the client. All paths in BULKINSERT are going to be relative to the server.
    Last edited by MCrowley; 07-19-11 at 11:42. Reason: Fixed tyops

And, not do not forget that it is for importing csv files, not xslx, so the file needs to be saved as csv first.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

sigh...when convert the excel file to csv, some data are missing. Guess I have to copy it manually. But its so inefficient, also have a file with 85000 plus rows.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I am going to guess that the file is on your laptop or desktop machine, and not on the server itself. BULKINSERT is a command that is sent to the server, and not the client. All paths in BULKINSERT are going to be relative to the server.

Yes, the file is on my desktop machine. Is there an alternative to the bulkinsert? I tried openrowset, but the database blocked it for security reason.

Provided Answers: 54
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you so much, Pat! It works great.

Thanks for every one's replies =)