Unanswered: dBase printer commands for new PCs

Hi everyone -- new to the forum and probably one of the more obsolete members here. Wrote a program twenty years in dBase/Clipper - still be used! However, the user has tried to move the program to a laptop, and the printer USB hookup doesn't respond to the dBase printer commands ("set print on" / "set ... to print") Data is not being sent to the printer. Is dBase looking for a parallel port? Do I need to find an adaptor of some sort?

Thank you, thank you.

Provided Answers: 1
    What is the "set printer to ....." statement?
    Are you trying to write to the lpt1 port 278, or 378.
    Are you using dbase or clipper.
    What OS is the laptop and the desktop.

It's in Clipper. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know at the moment what the desktop is - probably Windows 98. It prints to that, but the laptop, an XP, is not finding the printer.

I admit I haven't touched base with Clipper other than maintaining this program. There's a command to direct the port?

Just became acquainted with "Printfil". Familiar with this?

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't have a Clipper manual, but you might like this xHarbour.org .

In Foxbase and Foxpro

Code:
    set printer to lpt2:
    set printer to file "print01.txt"
    set printer to "\\cpu\printer"
    are all valid

Provided Answers: 54
    For most Clipper apps (Summer '87 and 5.x) you don't need to change the code at all.

First determine the UNC for the printer in the format \\computername\printername which can usually be found in the Control Pannel "Printers" applet.

I usually wrap Clipper programs inside a batch file when running on Windows versions after Windows 98. The batch file sets any environment variables (such as CLIP, etc) and handles setting up the legacy support (like printers). The file looks something like:
    Code:
    SET CLIP=M512;F39
    NET USE LPT1: \\computername\printername
    CLIPAPP.EXE
    NET USE LTP1: /d
    This ought to get you at least rudimentary printing. Note that using Legacy support usually implies that reports won't print until the program exits.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.