Thread: vb and sql

Question vb and sql

I am a student in VB. we studied only database connection with MS ACCESS. I Think Database programming in SQL is more easy. how can i connect with an sql Database. Can I Execute sql queries in Access. When I use "Where " query it show too few parameters. pls help
    thanks in advance
    kishore

Quote Originally Posted by kishoresro View Post
    I am a student in VB. we studied only database connection with MS ACCESS. I Think Database programming in SQL is more easy. how can i connect with an sql Database. Can I Execute sql queries in Access. When I use "Where " query it show too few parameters. pls help
    thanks in advance
    kishore
    nope if you are connecting to an Access DB (or more properly known as a JET DB) then you are using SQL to talk to the db whether you knwo that or not. using Access forms and reports can mask that you are using SQL, but connecting from VB you are definately using SQL. don't believe me, wel then open a copy of an Access DB, open a query for design view, switch the view pane to 'SQL' and you will see the SQL the query designer creates. its a bit yucky as the query designer seemingly scatters random parantheses all over the place, but SQL it is

like most vendors of SQL databases Access / JET SQL is not fully compliant, its not the most complaint but at a guess I'd say it over 95% compliant, most other SQL products especially the server SQL products like DB2, Informix, Oracle, Postgres, MySQL and so are are more compoliant. however many of those self same SQL products have whart are called extensions (this is especially a program in string / text / char columns and manipulations

there is no limt to the number of 'where' condititions you can apply. there are limits in JET SQL in terms of the number of columns that can be returned in a single resultset (IIRC its around 250 columns)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton