Angry Unanswered: Reserved Error (-5500); There is no message for this error

I'm running Access 2010 and when I try to run a relatively simple crosstab report, this error comes up. Google knows nothing about it, and Microsoft even less.

What's more curious is that on another PC with Access 2010, it runs fine!

The crosstab report has 3 tables linked one to many with properly defined primary keys, nothing special.

I've attempted an Office repair and a compact and repair on the database but no joy so far. Everything used to work just fine under Office 2003. I see no corrupt data in any of the tables.

Any info would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 14
    What's the operating system for both machines (the one where the error occurs and the one where everything runs smoothly)?
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 19
    Also, when apps run fine on one machine and not on another or run fine in one version and not when run under a newer version, the first thing you have to think about are Missing References.

If you haven't done this before, here are Doug Steele's detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem:

Access Reference Problems

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

error -5500

XP on both machines, same service pack levels. No reference issues that I can find, I have seen errors generated by that issue too, easy to fix but it does not apply here.

Might be a long shot, but have you got exactly the same libraries imported on both machines?

Or is that what you meant by references?

I imagine that they get updated, so check that there aren't any awaiting Windows Updates for MS Office on the machine that doesn't work, as one of the reference libraries may have been updated, and even though it's checked within MS Access, it doesn't contain the correct code and is therefore failing.

Failing that, I would reinstall office on the computer that's giving you sheet.

Provided Answers: 7
    I got the same error last nite and what I found was that one of the fields had a error message in it
    And each time I tried to view that record I got the error -500 message so I deleted that record and problem went away
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

I am not going to enjoy looking through each record, but hey I have run out of other ideas.

Thanks for the info.

access 20010 "reserved error (-5500); there is no message for this error"

I ran into this and solved it by eliminating null values in fields relating to the row or column.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob33 View Post
    I ran into this and solved it by eliminating null values in fields relating to the row or column.
    While that solved your problem it can not apply here or both machines would be displaying the problem, not just one machine.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

'Reserved Error (-5500); There is no message for this error'

You will have to decide. I ran the crosstab on several environments with no problem (xp os / xp access, vista os / xp access, vista os/ 2007 access, xp os, 2010 access). It wasn't until I ran the application in win2007 os/ 2007 access that I encountered the problem.
    Bob33

'Reserved Error (-5500); There is no message for this error'

Error in previous response. the problem occurs in 2007 OS/ 2010 access.
    Bob33