Unanswered: kernel parameters for db2 on linux

Hi, I'm trying to set up the values of the kernel parameters on our backup server and found some issues this week --

Here is the article I've been following :

DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

We have 8 GB on our backup server( 64 Bit) and based on the article I set the values of SHMMAX and SHMALL ---

SHMMAX -- 1073741824

SHMALL -- 1887420 ( Number of pages based on 90% of 8 GB = 7.2 GB)

I also set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=64000 before the restore / rollforward process, alter the bufferpools after it's all done and then unset the DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF variable. There are 6 bufferpools besides IBMDEFAULTBP.

With the SHMMAX / SHMALL settings above, I get this error when the rollforward command is run --

SQL1218N There are no pages currently available in bufferpool "".

The original values in the config file were --

SHMMAX --- 67108864
    SHMALL --- 17179869184

When I got the error yesterday, I only changed back the SHMALL value to 17179869184 and today the restore / rollforward worked just fine. Any thoughts on what the correct values really should be? Thanks!

The InfoCenter link you posted is for DB2 V9.1, which is NOT the same doc as 9.5 or 9.7. If you are running 9.1, then I would suggest you upgrade to a newer release.

DB2 9.7 is the best for Linux, since it automatically sets most of the kernel parms for you when the database manager is started.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Oh, thanks.. I forgot to mention the version we are using ... we have Version 8.2 FixPak 11 so I guess the values I was working with were wrong to begin with..