Unanswered: sql server to mysql conversion?

Good Evening all of You...

Sir I am new in database , I used Both Sql server 2005 as well as MySql.
    I only want to know that - Is it possible to convert database in sql server into Mysql server?
    I heard about mysql migration toolkit but not find it in depth, some people say that - "it is impossible task", some said- it is possible but only 40 to 50 %..
    I am so much confused, please help me with share your knowledge...

Thanking you in advance.

Provided Answers: 54
    With any conversion, so much depends on which features of the source database were used.

If you used straight ISO-standard SQL, no stored procedures or CLR, no Analysis Services, no Integeration Services, no Reporting Services. etc. then the conversion is pretty straightforward. Each piece you used adds enormous complexity to the conversion because Microsoft has built a lot of data handling funcitonality into the bundle that they sell as "SQL Server" that go far beyond the SQL engine itself. If you used the ADO classes and used any of the extensive functionality of SQL Server behind the scenes, then the problem is harder still because you might not even be aware of which extended features your application is using.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

sql 2005 to mysql

Thanks for your kind attention to me...........
    i want to say that- We are a running a web application (Asp.Net) with sql server 2005.
    database has 30 table 40 views and 38 stored procedure...
    Is it possible to convert this all in mysql database.....
    you wrote -".................then the conversion is pretty straightforward."
    what is the limitation of conversion? what we convert or what we not, which kind of data we converst and which not? Please reply..

sql 2005 to mysql

Thanks for your kind attention to me...........
    i want to say that- We are a running a web application (Asp.Net) with sql server 2005.
    database has 30 table 40 views and 38 stored procedure...
    Is it possible to convert this all in mysql database.....
    you wrote -".................then the conversion is pretty straightforward."
    what is the limitation of conversion? what we convert or what we not, which kind of data we converst and which not? Please reply..
    Edit/Delete Message

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    With any conversion, so much depends on which features of the source database were used.

If you used straight ISO-standard SQL, no stored procedures or CLR, no Analysis Services, no Integeration Services, no Reporting Services. etc. then the conversion is pretty straightforward. Each piece you used adds enormous complexity to the conversion because Microsoft has built a lot of data handling funcitonality into the bundle that they sell as "SQL Server" that go far beyond the SQL engine itself. If you used the ADO classes and used any of the extensive functionality of SQL Server behind the scenes, then the problem is harder still because you might not even be aware of which extended features your application is using.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    Unfortunately I have more questions for you than I have answers for you.

If your application uses DRI (Declaritive Referential Integrity), you have some challenges to resolve before you start the conversion. The default MyISAM storage engine of MySQL does not enforce DRI (syntax is supported, it just isn't enforced). Unless you install Innodb and pay the associate royalty charges that Oracle charges for its use in production, you can't rely on DRI.

If you only used datatypes that can be converted from SQL Server to MySQL, then moving the table schema and data should be trivial. SQL Server Management Studio includes the Export Data Wizard which ought to move a simple table with about a dozen mouse clicks.

If the views don't use any functions or expressions, you can probably take them verbatim with a simple edit for the table names. If you used any expressions in your views, you'll need to re-write them using MySQL syntax.

The stored procedures you'll have to rewrite from scratch. The functionality of the two products is different, and the syntax is quite different. These will need to be rewritten from scratch. There are tools that claim to do this automaticaly, but I have had very poor luck using them.

I think that you'd be well advised to get a consultant to help you with this conversion. Especially if they teach you or at least tell you what you need to do (and why you need to do it), you'll be far better off than if you try to do this conversion on your own.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

sql server to mysql conversion

Thank you sir for your knowledgeable response,
    now i think i got the sufficient information regarding conversion, Lastly please tell me if i do not use Declaritive Referential Integrity in my project then what is the best way to convert sql 2005 data to mysql...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Unfortunately I have more questions for you than I have answers for you.

If your application uses DRI (Declaritive Referential Integrity), you have some challenges to resolve before you start the conversion. The default MyISAM storage engine of MySQL does not enforce DRI (syntax is supported, it just isn't enforced). Unless you install Innodb and pay the associate royalty charges that Oracle charges for its use in production, you can't rely on DRI.

If you only used datatypes that can be converted from SQL Server to MySQL, then moving the table schema and data should be trivial. SQL Server Management Studio includes the Export Data Wizard which ought to move a simple table with about a dozen mouse clicks.

If the views don't use any functions or expressions, you can probably take them verbatim with a simple edit for the table names. If you used any expressions in your views, you'll need to re-write them using MySQL syntax.

The stored procedures you'll have to rewrite from scratch. The functionality of the two products is different, and the syntax is quite different. These will need to be rewritten from scratch. There are tools that claim to do this automaticaly, but I have had very poor luck using them.

I think that you'd be well advised to get a consultant to help you with this conversion. Especially if they teach you or at least tell you what you need to do (and why you need to do it), you'll be far better off than if you try to do this conversion on your own.

-PatP