Unanswered: Access Junction Table Design

I have three populated tables in Access…Patients, Medications and PatientMeds as a Junction table. No relationships yet.

Patients table = Patient_ID(PK no dups), FirstName, LastName etc.
    PatientMeds table = Patient_ID(non unique), Med_ID(non unique), Dose, Unit, Freq etc.
    Medications table = Med_ID (PK no dups), MedName, MedManuf etc.

I queried the data into the PatientMeds junction table with the Patient_ID and Med_ID fields as number and not defined as primaries.
    On trying to apply a composite key(dups OK) in the PatientMeds table to Patient_ID and Med_ID, I received the “ The changes you requested were not successful because they will create duplicate values….error), which makes sense as those fields do contain duplicate values, but with dups OK I thought it should work. An example of how the data appears:

PatientMeds table

Patient_ID Med_ID Dose
    001 815 5
    002 612 10
    003 112 20
    002 055 10
    001 552 10

The example schema I’ve been working from shows the junction fields as primary keys, I then checked the Access Inside Out book and that does not show the fields as primary keys.
    Do I have a table design error? Do the two junction fields need to be primary? I’m fairly new to Access, maybe I’m missing a concept.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 14
    By composite key, do you mean composite index or did you try to create a primary key including both Patient_ID and Med_ID?
    Have a nice day!

I created a primary key including both Patient_ID and Med_ID. Highlighted both fields and chose Primary Key. I also tried creating a primary key on each field individually with the same result.
    Last edited by RxExec; 07-25-11 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by RxExec View Post
    I created a primary key including both Patient_ID and Med_ID. Highlighted both fields and chose Primary Key.
    You can't have duplicate values in a primary key.
    Quote Originally Posted by RxExec View Post
    I also tried creating a primary key on each field individually with the same result.
    You can't have more than one primary key for a table.
    Have a nice day!

So the Med_ID and Patient_ID of the junction table would be foreign keys to the other two tables to create the many to many relationship, Yes?

Just in case someone else is looking. The composite key links two fields together to form a unique identifier, in my case, patient_id and med_id. A duplicate query of those two fields combined showed that I did have duplicates. an earlier search on each individual field found nothing. Fixed those and I was able to apply the composite primary key with no errors. I applied relationships and it works perfectly.

Glad you were able to solve the problem.
    Have a nice day!