Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Uploading to a SQL Server Image Data Type

Good day,

I have an interesting problem that has recently cropped up. I have a database table that stores files. The datatype is image.

I have been uploading into the table no problem for months and months and there have been no changes to the software or server.

Suddenly as the day goes by I can upload smaller and smaller files until by the end of the day I am not able to even uplaod a 40Kb file. The next day when I come in I can upload normal documents again until later in the day when I am not able to upload anything again.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions why this might happen?

My server is Windows 2003 Server, SQL Server 2005, roguhly 500Gb free on the drive that houses the databases.

Somehow the backup at night is clearing or releasing something that allows for documents to be uploaded again, but what is stopping the documents from being uplaoded late in the day, well stopped in terms of the size. A document that I can uplaod in the morning that was 300Kb worked no problem, but by the end of the day even a 40Kb file can't be uplaoded to the table.

Please help.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 6
    are you re-indexing at night? it sounds like a classic fragmentation issue. on a side note I would never use SQL Server to store files. The location of files, yes. Files themselves, no.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

It is 3rd party software, do I don't have control on how things are done.
    Re-indexing is not done at night, not that I know of anyway. Only a backup of the database.

Provided Answers: 6
    I would confirm your assumption with your DBA.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    What is the error? If this is a 32-bit server, I would expect you are getting problems with not enough contiguous memory to do the upload. A cycle of the service would also fix that, but is hardly an optimal solution.

I am the DBA and have never seen anything like this.
    In the end the only error I get is a time out error. Odd things as I said is that in the morning it works and then as the day goes it gets worse and worse and eventually you can't upload anything.

Provided Answers: 11
    Anything in the errorlog?

Just that it times out.