Unanswered: Checkboxes/Statements in data tables/queries

Never mind the title...maybe if i explain my predicament it will make more sense.

I have results being generated based on raw data....some of the raw data may have errors which may need to be edited or removed....however is there an alternative where i can simply allow the user to decide whether or not to include that particular record? This is tricky in terms of editing the raw data and playing around with the results of a query.

For example a column of check boxes for individual records or a 'yes or no' field, based on an assumption of a true/yes value, the user can then select/enter whether or not to include that record in subsequent queries?

I figured i would add a column of 1s or 'yes' as a default value in the raw data and the user could then change that to a 0 or 'no' to indicate not to use that value.

Any alternatives or suggestions?

Need some more info, as you've assumed a lot of knowledge here.

I have results being generated based on raw data
    How are you 'generating' these results?
    Where are they? A form? A report? What?

allow the user to decide whether or not to include that particular record
    Include the record where?

the user can then select/enter whether or not to include that record in subsequent queries?
    What subsequent queries? Are you making queries from queries? Or editing a table of data, and then pulling future queries based around the modified table information?

From what I can make out, you have a table of data, some records will contain erroneous data in certain fields.

You have a form that displays the information held for each record, and you want the user to be able to decide whether the information is correct or not?

If so, why do you want to keep the erroneous data at all?

Quote Originally Posted by kez1304 View Post
    Need some more info, as you've assumed a lot of knowledge here.

How are you 'generating' these results?
    Where are they? A form? A report? What?

Include the record where?

What subsequent queries? Are you making queries from queries? Or editing a table of data, and then pulling future queries based around the modified table information?

From what I can make out, you have a table of data, some records will contain erroneous data in certain fields.

You have a form that displays the information held for each record, and you want the user to be able to decide whether the information is correct or not?

If so, why do you want to keep the erroneous data at all?

As it is, a union query is run on the raw data for different criteria...then calculations are carried out on the data from the union query by another query. I have a form from which the user specifies the criteria for the secondary query.

These results are passed into another query from which a report with conditional formatting is generated which highlights coefficients of variation greater than 40% which suggests variability in data based on the standard deviation as a percentage of a calculated mean.

So where this condition is met, i would like the user to be able to go to the raw data preceding the calculations from the query (for the specified criteria) and either edit or remove records on which the report is made, if the data is considered wrong by the user.

Was trying to avoid the fine details...my bad

so its
    RAW DATA->UNION QUERY(Based on filtered data for specific criteria)->COUNTING AND CALCULATING QUERY(with additional criteria)->REPORT(Based on a query for easy editing)
    Last edited by clownyj; 07-26-11 at 08:23.

I'm with you now...

But, I don't understand why a user needs to do anything.

If you only want records returned whose queried results are less than a 40% variant, why not just have some vba that only returns those records?

(I'm assuming here you know the standard deviation already, as well as a mean that can be calculated at runtime)

Or is it that they might want some of these out of range results returned?

Quote Originally Posted by kez1304 View Post
    I'm with you now...

But, I don't understand why a user needs to do anything.

If you only want records returned whose queried results are less than a 40% variant, why not just have some vba that only returns those records?

(I'm assuming here you know the standard deviation already, as well as a mean that can be calculated at runtime)

Or is it that they might want some of these out of range results returned?
    Thats where it gets complicated statistically...the averages are what is really of interest, but the accuracy in calculating the averages is dependent on the variability of the records on which the average is calculated...

So there are cases where the coefficients are more than the 40%, but the averages are still valid...so sadly i can't simply reject everything else and the users want to be able to carry out quality assurance in order to get results with minimal variability by editing or eliminating mistakes in the raw data.

So i think what i may have to do is simply set up some way of filtering the raw data for specific criteria from various queries and the user can backtrack and do whatever editing there, then re-run the report...i was just trying to think about a "smart" way to do it.

There is another thread which i'm having problems filtering dates using macros u may be able to shed some light on to accomplish some of this:
    http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...ng-macros.html

Well, rather than a shed load of checkboxes, I would simply setup a list, whose row source is a query that returns all the potential trouble makers.

Then if the list is setup as a multiselect one, the user can select which values they want to get rid of from the list, all at once, and click a delete button. You could also have an edit button setup, to edit the existing values.

I personally try to avoid checkboxes like the plague.