Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Connecting to a db partition

Hello Gurus,

I see there is a client option to connect to a specific database partition. However, when I set the db_partition_number to anything other than 0, my connection (db2 connect stmt) fails. Only when I set it back to 0, does it allow my connection to succeed.

What am I missing?

- G

Provided Answers: 1
    What's "db_partition_number"? How do you "set" it? Why do you think the connect command fails?

> db2 set client connect_dbpartitionnum 1
    DB20000I The SET CLIENT command completed successfully.

> db2 connect to MLCDMP user uswh9xe
    Enter current password for uswh9xe:
    SQL30082N Security processing failed with reason "24" ("USERNAME AND/OR
    PASSWORD INVALID"). SQLSTATE=08001

> db2 set client connect_dbpartitionnum 0
    DB20000I The SET CLIENT command completed successfully.

> db2 connect to MLCDMP user uswh9xe
    Enter current password for uswh9xe:

Database Connection Information

Database server = DB2/AIX64 9.5.3
    SQL authorization ID = USWH9XE
    Local database alias = MLCDMP

Makes sense??? Also, I dont know why the login fails - that was my question. its like, if you skip the admin node, the individual partition doesnt authenticate.

- G

what command you are executing to go that particular node, and when you are on that #node, after executing db2 connect what error message you are getting ?

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    IBM India, Global Delivery
    New Delhi

Quote Originally Posted by JAYANTA_DATTA View Post
    what command you are executing to go that particular node, and when you are on that #node, after executing db2 connect what error message you are getting ?
    Jayanta,

Not sure if my post with the detailed sequence of commands I ran (and the errors they got ) came in later - but they are all out here on my post. Aint being rude, just trying to figure if I am missing something

Thanks for taking a look!

- G

Is partition 1 on a different server? If so, does the user uswh9xe exist on that server?

partition 1 is a different LPAR on the same physical box. cant tell if my user is defined to the local security of each LPAR - when I try to connect directly to partition 1 through OS, the server doesnt recognize me - so I am assuming not - my question is, in that case, currently is it that the admin node alone has my user, and that when I need data from other partitions, the admin passes a trusted connection token over?

and also, if I dont have my user on other partitions, could I not connect directly to a specific partition?

I see the sequence of events now, last time the time when I was compiling, by that time you already responded with the details, and hence the confusion.

the particular error code asks for running db2iupdt. I am assuming there were no FP upgrade or migration happened on your system recently and so db2iupdt mayn't be needed in reality.

did you try running the attach dbpart for node #1 ?
    db2 set client attach_dbpartitionnum 1

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    New Delhi

DB2 has to authenticate you against the operating system on the server you are connecting to. If your user ID does not exist on the partition 1 server, you won't be able to connect.

Partitions communicate using an internal transport protocol implemented in FCM (Fast Communications Manager); no "trusted connection token" or anything like that.

can you see anything in the DIAG.LOG generated during that period when you were issuing the connect command ? If required you can increase the DIAGLEVEL to get more informational tokens so that its clear where is the bottleneck hitting.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    New Delhi

nope - do you want me to try running the attach?

This issue looks tricky. You can try attach dbpartition, if it works fine, else, you can check who is owning the /sqllib/security/db2ckpw ? It should be instance owner and not root and after that you can run db2iupdt as reason code#24 is strongly pointing towards that.

First check the ownership of the db2ckpw file followed by db2iupdt.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    New Delhi

@Jayanta, If the user is being authenticated on Partition 0, doesn't it mean that the instance setup is not corrupt ?

@op, Are you able to use that userid and password at Unix level on that LPAR?

---
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Hi Sathyaram,

It can be a password file issue on that particular host where Partition#1 is residing. Some basic tips like db2iupdt or the db2ckpw file's ownership can be checked from the requester. Another point can help more is whether he is facing this issue from before or any recent changes on his system has triggered the bug.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    New Delhi

@Jayanta, Thanks. My point was - as sqllib(and hence db2ckpw) is shared across all nodes and atleast one node the connection is successful, how will db2iupdt help? Correct me if I am wrong.

If it is a problem with the installation files on the node in question, then db2iupdt is not going to help

Thanks
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.