Unanswered: Suggestions for a MySQL beginner

I'm new to MySQL, but am learning it quickly (I think). I have been watching a video series on PHP and MySQL, and feel like this database system will help me to progress my scope of work.

Anyone got advice or some "things you should know about MySQL" for a beginner?

Much obliged.

I recommend you to download the documentation and study section 12.1 Data Definition Statements, section 12.2 Data Manipulation Statements and additionally section 10.1/10.7 Data Types. While you are exercising, look up the syntax reference.

After a while, do the same with PostgreSQL. Why? In contrast to the MySQL documentation, you will find a real handbook. Why else? Because you avoid a habit of typing out code and advance your skills in dealing with declarative programming.

Concerning the declarative paradigm in general: Consider literature that boosts your beginner's experience. I recall Joe Celko's Thinking in sets to be well-written introduction.

matt, telling someone who is learning mysql to go and read the postgresql manual is counter-productive and not appreciated on this web site
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

@r937

As you can read, I obviously suggested it for comparative purposes and explained the meta-DBMS agenda of avoiding typewriting. Moreover, it is a vendor-neutral solution. By the way, I'd argue quite the same in the case of other solutions.