Unanswered: dont know what to call it?? a contact log??

i have a database ( obviously) and im not fully conversant in the complexities of them.

i want to be able to add a field to my form where i can add further data, like a running log that will put a time/date next to the entry.

does this make sense?

The image is that of my form. The database does have some VB things in ( that i have begged borrowed and stolen from the t'internet) and its working well.

is there a way of making the DB do what i want? or would it require major surgery?

I only have one table( which should get most of you sucking through you teeth as one of the biggest no no's) but this is what ive got until i get my head around access properly im using access 2007 if that makes any difference.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db1.JPG  

For this I would add create a new table called Notes (or whatever you like) and ad the following fields:

NoteID - Autonumber
    MainFormID - (Same format as main form's id and linked to it)
    NoteDate - Date/Time (Default Date())
    NoteText - Text(255 unless you need more then change it to Memo)

Link this to your mainform via the main form's unique ID.
    Create a form based on this new table and add it to your main form as a subform usingand linked as above.
    Now you can add notes with a date to each record.
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareMatters View Post
    For this I would add create a new table called Notes (or whatever you like) and ad the following fields:

NoteID - Autonumber
    MainFormID - (Same format as main form's id and linked to it)
    NoteDate - Date/Time (Default Date())
    NoteText - Text(255 unless you need more then change it to Memo)

Link this to your mainform via the main form's unique ID.
    Create a form based on this new table and add it to your main form as a subform usingand linked as above.
    Now you can add notes with a date to each record.
    Thank you so much for that - so would this allow many entries or just one memo/note per main entry?

Provided Answers: 59
    if you have more than one contact per day I'd suggest the NoteDate default should be now() as that includxes the time as well as the date.

eg instead of 03 Aug 2011 spoke to fred smith
    becomes
    03 Aug 2011 @ 10:30 spoke to Fred, queiried his order, promised he would call back
    03 Aug 2011 @ 10:45 Fred returned call, confirmed order was xxxx not bbbbb
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

That sounds spot on thanks... An answers my previous post too!
    I'll give it a blast this week and if I fluff it I will be sure to ask again!! Thanks peeps

im not sure if im doing it right but on the notes form the main form ID do i need to manually enter that or should it populate from the main form? have i done the relationship right? and can i do so that the history of each customer is shown on the bottom of the form?

sorry if this is basic but any help is gratefully recieved

i have attached a couple of images that may or may not assist!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relationship.JPG   notes form.JPG  

Once you have put the new notes form on the main form as a subform and it is linked correctly the ID will populate itdelf so in fact you can hide this field.

I would also turn your form into a continuous form adn arrange the fields horizontaly then you could see a "list" of all the notes for that record.

And yes the relationship looks right.
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

i think we're getting there!! i have attached an image which shows the updates/contact log which is spot on - in striving for perfection is there a way that when you enter the form it starts at the last entry - mine keeps starting at the top???

and the very last thing i promise.......... how do i get scroll bars on my main form? sometimes on my laptop it fills the screen and i cannot access the bottom fields?

...in striving for perfection is there a way that when you enter the form it starts at the last entry - mine keeps starting at the top???
    You will need to set the sort order of the form to the date field in Descending order i.e. the most recent at the top. Do this in the form's properties in design view.

...how do i get scroll bars on my main form?
    Again in the properties when in design mode there is a scrollbar option where you can choose between Horizontal, Vertical, None or Both.
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters