Unhappy Unanswered: Database wiped out... How do I replay it from WAL?

Please be kind to a newcomer...

Somehow I managed to wipe out an entire database. I was working with Doctrine and altered just one table. Don't ask me what happened next. Now I'm sitting here with a backup that's 2 months old and some unhappy people.

It seems to be possible to replay everything from WAL but we have no archived data, except two big files in the "pg_xlog" directory. Today I installed "skytools" and read about "walmgr". It may be capable but first some advice please?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbom View Post
    Please be kind to a newcomer...

Somehow I managed to wipe out an entire database. I was working with Doctrine and altered just one table. Don't ask me what happened next. Now I'm sitting here with a backup that's 2 months old and some unhappy people.

It seems to be possible to replay everything from WAL but we have no archived data, except two big files in the "pg_xlog" directory. Today I installed "skytools" and read about "walmgr". It may be capable but first some advice please?
    The logs in the pg_xlog directory can only be applied to a previous backup. If you most recent backup is 2 months old you need every log file created since then, which seems very unlikely.

Thanks for your answer. I suspected that we won't be able to recover the data. It's time to face the consequences and make sure it doesn't happen again!

Don't Give Up

Are you looking at files on a server or are these local files? It seems to me you should be capable to perform a file restore to get you back to where you need to be.

The files are on a server, but I also have a local copy of them. I'm running a local web server for testing purposes, with PostgreSQL and phpPgAdmin installed. All the data seems to be stuffed in pg_xlog but retrieving it is a real challenge! After almost having a nervous breakdown I managed to collect some data and got the database in working order at least. Now when the panic is gone we can discuss the issue in a calm fashion