Unanswered: Wha can cause this?

Hi guys, what can cause a working select statement to return all fields blank when inner joining it with a new table?

Code:
    USE [dbTalesOfEpic]
    GO
    /****** Object:  StoredProcedure [dbo].[getNode]    Script Date: 08/04/2011 20:29:37 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[getNode]

@mapBoxId int

AS
    BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

SELECT     mapGrids.tooltip, mapGrids.mapBoxId, mapGrids.alternateText, mapGrids.imageUrl, mapGrids.nodeName, linkTypes.linkType, linkTo.mapLink, 
                          linkTo.locationLink, Links.linkTypeId
    FROM         mapGrids INNER JOIN
                          Links ON mapGrids.linkId = Links.linkId INNER JOIN
                          linkTo ON Links.linksToId = linkTo.linkToId INNER JOIN
                          linkTypes ON Links.linkTypeId = linkTypes.linkTypeId
    WHERE     (mapGrids.mapBoxId = @mapBoxId)

END
    Basically as soon as i add another inner join to another table that also has a relationship, the select returns nothing.

What can cause this?

Here is a diagram of what i am trying to join:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1...fdgfditled.jpg

As soon as i join LinkTo with either Locations or Maps, the select returns nothing. Why is this?

The only thing i can attribute this to is that mapLink and locationLink (the fields i am linking the previously mentioned tables on) can be null. Is this what causes this problem?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheGateKeeper; 08-04-11 at 15:38.

Provided Answers: 11
    I suspect it is not returning blank fields, but no rows. When you go to the messages tab in Management Studio, I bet you will see there are "0 rows affected", because there are no matching rows in the newly joined table.

Provided Answers: 54
    Expanding on MCrowley's idea, try using LEFT JOIN in place of INNER JOIN and see if that helps.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I suspect it is not returning blank fields, but no rows. When you go to the messages tab in Management Studio, I bet you will see there are "0 rows affected", because there are no matching rows in the newly joined table.
    Yes, it returns no rows. Maybe i dont understand how INNER JOIN works, but if it doesnt match one table why dont the others return something?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Expanding on MCrowley's idea, try using LEFT JOIN in place of INNER JOIN and see if that helps.

-PatP
    Will try.

Ok, i looked into full, right, left, and inner joins and i made the SP work.

However, what is the difference between outer and inner? (asaik, inner returns when both tables have a match).