Unanswered: Subform with Autonumber headache

I'm trying to figure out why when I create a new record in my main form the autonumber doesn't update in the subform. I created a quickie test DB (dbBWorks) because I couldn't believe it wasn't working, and sure enuf it worked and updates as expected but I would really like to know why my project DB(dbAFails)fails. Also, the main form opens with a blank autonumber record...is that an expected behavior? Really appreciate your input and suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

a form (main form) with a field displaying that is autonumber - will typically display "autonumber" while the record has yet no data entered - and then once you enter data into any field the autonumber displays. If yours is simply blank but works when there is data entered - I wouldn't worry about it.

As to your subform; you proved that it should/does work in a trial db, but are trying to resolve why it doesn't in your actual db. I would suggest simply deleting that subform object out from the mainform and then adding the subform back into the main form. When you do this - the wizard will launch and should be able to set up up ok. Sometimes just replacing/re-doing is alot faster than trying to figure out the problem.

Hope it helps.
    www CahabaData com

Thanks NTC, The problem is autonumber doesn't update after I enter data into the subform. It's boggling because I had deleted the non updatable subform and replaced it with no joy. I even deleted each object and main form one at a time to see if I could find the problem. Even more maddening, is it worked so well with existing data but I had never checked along the way to see if I could add new records...that''ll never happen again.

Well, I am fairly new to access, so I wanted to understand why...maybe I put some code somewhere that's throwing it off. I think I will run with your advice and start building it from scratch... and check along the way.

Thanks for your help

JIC, the subform in question is located in a tab control.