Exclamation Unanswered: Combo Box displaying incorrect part numbers on form in Access 2003

I have a table that contains two columns.
    1) Part Number 2) Part Number Description.
    I have some items that have different part numbers but the same description. The reason I have different part numbers are because we have changed part numbers so in doing so would make some description the same.
    When I type one of the part numbers into the form it auto changes, actually to the most recent part number.
    My goal is to record both kinds of part numbers but have the same descriptions so it will make it easier for reporting but yet know what part number the customer purchased the item as so we can help them update their system to the current part numbers.
    Can someone help me with this?

Perhaps you can add two fields; Obsoleted (Boolean) and NewNumber (same as Part Number). For every Obsoleted number, you must enter a NewNumber. If the number is current, of course, the Obsoleted and NewNumber fields will be blank.

Sam

if I understand your post you have this

Part Desc

123 description A
    456 description B
    789 description C

so that if one selects 789 - that you also are able to find 123.

2 choices: If the description is absolutely positively keystroke unique and identical (even in terms of punctuation and spaces) - then you can set up a query using the description as criteria to find all parts with that same description.

But if you can't guarantee that precision in the description area - then you need a new column as your 'super part' cross reference

SuperPart Part Desc

1 123 description A
    2 456 description B
    1 789 description C

After selecting a part, you defacto are selecting also the superpart - you can then set up a query using the superpart value to find all parts with the same superpart.

Hope this helps.
    www CahabaData com

Exclamation Combo Box displaying incorrect part numbers on form in Access 2003

Thank you that answer was really helpful as far as querying the items.

The problem I have is when entering information on a form

selecting 123 as the part number from the combo box. Access with change that part number to 789 automatically.

What can I do to make that Not happen? I want the information to stay the same as I entered it on the form.

Below is how the information is in the table:
    Different Part Numbers with Same Descriptions

Part Desc

123 description A
    456 description B
    789 description A

Thank you

when you enter/type into a combobox - and it doesn't select the record you intend; generally that is a symptom of not understanding what is the bound value of the combo box. - - so double check as to the data source query of that combo box and its properties so you clearly understand what is bound.

nothing 'changes' in a database unless someone has coded for a change to occur - - if you wrote this db yourself then I believe that your mixup with the combobox is the issue. Perhaps just delete it and remake it.

but if someone else wrote the db - and has inserted code - then they could be replacing values and one would need to identify that code.

Hope it helps.
    www CahabaData com

Combo Box displaying incorrect part numbers on form in Access 2003

Thank you for your reply. I will take your advice. I'll let you know if I can find / fix it.