Unanswered: not able to access mssql instance using alias

We created an alias using the sql server configuration manager. We were able to access the instance thru the alias on the server the alias was setup. However, we were not able to access the instance thru the alias on other server.
    Is there other configuration that we need to do to make this work?

thx

How are you trying to access the alias? Through SSMS or such like?

You are not trying to type "dbserver" into your client machine and expecting it to connect are you?

How are you trying to access the alias? Through SSMS or such like?
    >> sql server management studio

You are not trying to type "dbserver" into your client machine and expecting it to connect are you?
    >> are you saying that alias is only for the local server?

Depends how you are using the alias, if you are connecting from a different machine then it does not know what "dbserver" is.

You would have to create an entry in your local host file to say that "dbserver" means 192.168.0.1 or something like that

Again, depends how you are using it though

For example, when I was in the transition stages of moving dbs and I was calling stored procedures on another db, I created alias and setup jobs that called the other server which were aptly names "dbserver1" and "dbserver2". I had to create a host entry so that dbserver1 knew where dbserver2 was though

what if I use servername\alias would that work?

That would just try to access the instance

What are you trying to achieve, if I understood what you wanted to do then I might be able to help

thanks.
    We have installed 5 instances of mssql 2008 on one server. Now, there server is have resource issue. We want to reduce the number of instance, but want to have as little impact on the user as possible. One way that we want to accomplish this is to move databases from 1 or more instance to the other instance and shut down these instance. So, instead of 5 instance, we might have only 3 instance. If we can create aliases for the 2 shut down instance, then user would not have to make any changes to their application and be still able to connect to their database thru the alias.

for example:
    before
    instance A - db1, db2
    instance B - db3, db4

after
    instance B - db1, db2, db3 and db4
    using alias A, user can use the same connect string to access db3 and db4

Well I think alias's are meant to be used more internally

If you were on a cluster of servers then you could "map" the alias to the machine that it is meant to go to

If you are at home and you type db2 then it simply won't work for obvious reasons

Like the example I gave, we created an alias on dbserver2 and told dbserver1 where dbserver2 was through a host file

On a large scale, you could achieve the same through DNS entries locally but nothing globally

We use the machine name anyway on our servers so in our case we use ARLEY\Live, but this works on our internal network as the machines know what ARLEY is through DNS

this is on the company's network. so, the sql studio on the other serverB will know the serverA where the alias is.
    for example: there is an instance on serverA called serverA\instance1, which I have not problem accessing on serverB. So, if I create an alias call instA on serverA, pointing to instance serverA\instance1.
    Should I not be able to access serverA\instance1 using its alias -> serverA\instA? Or, do I need to use the FQN, like serverA.company.com\instA? thanks

Aliases is (as far as I know) only usable on the server on which they are created, so you'll have to create it on all servers which shall use the alias. It is actually a feature of the SQL Server client, not the Server software.

I tend to avoid using aliases, except for testing purposes. For better naming, i could suggest the following:
    * ONLY use named instances
    * Instance names should be unique across all DB Servers
    * Instance names should NOT be a host name
    * Create a CName record in DNS matching the instance name, referring to the server hosteing the instance.

In this way. Lets say you have ServerA\InstA. You crate a CNAME record InstA -> ServerA. You can connect to InstA\InstA. If you want to move the instance to a different server, you can create InstA on ServerB, restore, set up database mirroring, whaterver to copy the data. When you're finished moving all data, just take down the old server, and alter the CName record.

Oooh, I love this method
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

using CNAME, can I do this:

from serverB I want to connect to my mssql instance on serverA, (serverA\instY) using a different name (serverA\instX).