Thread: Anomalies

Unanswered: Anomalies

Hey guys,

is there any insert delete or update anomalies occurring in the following tables?

I've been trying to figure out this for couple of hours, without any luck.

Customer table
    Code:
    Cust_id	Cust_name	     Cust_add	                    Phone_num
    101	        toni	             509 Queen street	            09-592-5509
    Product table
    Code:
    Prod_id	 Prod_name          	            Prod_price 	      QOH
    200	         Acer 5742g NoteBook	            1,200	              10
    Despatch table
    Code:
    Desp_id	Prod_name	                  ShelfLoc               Prod_qnty
    20	        Acer 5742g NoteBook	  29	                     1
    Sales table
    Code:
    Sale_id	Prod_qnty	Sale_date	  sale_price	        Prod_id	       Cust_id	Desp_id
    1	        1	        12/8/11	  1,200	          200	                 101	          20
    Last edited by tony01; 08-15-11 at 05:52.

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by tony01 View Post
    is there any insert delete or update anomalies occurring in the following tables?

I've been trying to figure out this for couple of hours, without any luck.
    maybe it would help if you defined the term "insert delete or update anomaly". It does not match any definition of anomaly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomaly

Anyway, if you did not found any, there probably is not. Is there any pointer which would lead to this conclusion? You would include it in your post, would not you?

hi flyboy thanks for reply.

we were given the tables in my main post and the following question to answer.

In addition you will need to specify the likely activities (inserts, updates and deletes) that will affect the data.

I was assuming by activities they meant insert,updates and delete anomalies, which i could not find in the tables given.

Hi,
    sorry, maybe I am lost in translation, but I still have no idea what you mean with "anomaly". The closest term I may think about could be data integrity (described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity), which would be enforced by primary and foreign key constraints. As your post does not contain any, there is none.