Set @oassTextA = 'Joe'
        Set @passTextB = 'Smith'
        Set @passPropertyA = 21
        Set @passPropertyB = 23
    **TSQL A:**

Code:
    Set @passRefID = Select Ref_ID from TableA where ID = 10
    The `Ref_ID` returns a value of 50

Now I want to use that value in another select statement which returns any amount of rows.
    It looks like this

**TSQL B:**

Code:
    Select UserID from TableB where FK_RefID = @passRefID
    So lets say it returns:

UserID

Now I want to create an update for `TableC` based on the `UserID` that return previously.

My **TableC** layout of records look like this:

ID, UserID, PropertyDefinitionID, PropertyValue
    265,34,21,Bob
    266,34,23,Barker
    271,34,55,bb@abc.com
    628,56,21,Jane
    629,56,23,Adams
    635,56,55,ja@abc.com
    901,83,21,Tom
    905,83,23,Thumb
    910,83,55,tt@abc.com

I know I can use:

Code:
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextA Where UserID = 34 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyA
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextB Where UserID = 34 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyB
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextA Where UserID = 56 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyA
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextB Where UserID = 56 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyB
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextA Where UserID = 83 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyA
        Update TableC Set PropertyValue = @oassTextB Where UserID = 83 and PropertyDefinitionID = @passPropertyB
    But my problem is that in **TSQL B**, those rows returned could differ. There could be 1 row or 100 rows returned and the **TableC** is constructed a bit different from the norm.

How can I create a dynamic `UPDATE` statement based on the amount of rows return using the unique USERIDs and the way the TableC uses the PropertyDefinitionID?

Thanks for your assistance.

Provided Answers: 54
    Use the FROM clause to include tableA and tableB in two different update statements.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Use the FROM clause to include tableA and tableB in two different update statements.

-PatP
    Thanks for your reply. But I am not sure what you mean by including a FROM clause. Also I was hoping to find a different UPDATE solution instead of using the one I had since the UPDATE could be dynamic based on the USERID's returned and how TABLEC is setup.