Unanswered: Cannot create files from MS Access on Windows 7

My access 2007 database works just fine on XP and Vista. However for users with Windows 7 I cannot create external files, such as OutputTo PDF, or create a FreeFile For Append (leads to error 76: Path not found.)
    Does this happen with all my Windows 7 users? I don't know, I only hear from the ones that break .
    So I can write to the backend database but not create any external files.
    The application sits in its own directory C:\Appname\App which contains all the files.
    It fails to create files to C:\Appname\Reports
    It fails to backup to C:\Appname\Backup

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Russ

Its possible that some may have 32 bit and some 64 bit. They both have different paths for programs files. As here
    C:\Program Files Or C:\Program Files (x86)
    This could be the problem. I had this problem with my database but luckily we are moving to all Win 7 64 so i won't have any issues later.

Hi dbshaft & intellicon

Thanks for thoughts. Here's some more details.

Don't think the paths are an issue but happy to be proven wrong. Are you saying directory names in Windows 7 64 bit are tail-gated with (x86)?

The users are private owners running as administrators ( so they say ) . One user, using Access 2010 runtime on Windows 7, mentioned today he 'got a warning from Access when closing asking if he trusts the program'.
    This lead me to think of trusted locations. I have asked for the literal wording of the message. In theory the application writes the directory to trusted location at startup.
    This application is spread over 150 stand alone users and has been working fine for 5+ years and now I know of two with this issue.

On one instance, the user mentioned above gets 'Error 76 Path not found' when opening a FreeFile to a directory the application creates at install; Open myEmailLog For Append As #intFile. This sounds like permissions.

Bit of a show stopper and a mystery.
    Regards
    Russ

intellicon is correct about the permissions, if you browse the c: drive in Win7 you will find some folders have a little padlock icon on the folder, i assume this indicates you need permission to access it, I'm an admin on my computer but i still can't access some of the folders on my system. After a little digging i found that i can't access "C:\Users\johndoe\Application Data" at all, i keep getting "access denied" error. If your database is writing files to its own predefined directory it should be okay, but since you having issues this may still be the issue.

I see you mentioned using Access 2010 runtime on Win7. I had a problem trying to use Access 2010 runtime with my database. I kept crashing for no apparent reason, i found my old install of Access 2007 runtime, installed that and all was well. Never tried to figure out the problem because changing back over to 2007 fixed the issue.
    Hope this at least points you in the direction of the problem. Since it's only on two machines there is a good chance of finding the problem. Who knows, maybe these two individuals have some antivirus on their machines preventing your program from writing files to certain directories.

In answer to your first question, Yes Win7 does split up it's 64 and 32 bit applications into separate folders.
    C:\Program Files\ for 64bit apps
    and
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ for 32bit apps
    If your writing files to a directories within the programs folder they will be different for the different operating systems. I can only assume this is the same with all 64 bit windows OS's. On a windows7 64 bit machine Access runtime installs into the following directories.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" on a 64bit machine
    and
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" on a 32bit machine.
    Although you problem may still be a permission based problem this may be something to look at.