Unanswered: data not updating across network

Hello everyone,

Here's the problem:
    If I change any field on a form on one PC, it does not update the same field on the form of the other PC.

One weird thing is that if I change the field in the actual table on my development Vista PC (while the application is running), then I instantly see the change on my PC's form, but again, it does not appear on the XP PC's form.

If I close the form, then re-open it, then the field shows the correct data.

The application consists of 3 PCs. The data on a shared mapped drive (T:\mydata) on one PC, and forms stored locally on C: on each of the two PCs running the app. My development PC is Vista, the other is XP with latest service packs, running Pdox Runtime. BDE 5.01. Paradox 10.

In the BDE, 'net dir' is set to T:\myfolder. Share = TRUE. The application starts with a -o option ensuring they are both using the same idapi.cfg (and I have checked that the BDE looks identical on both PCs.

I am very rusty on networked apps, but I thought if you change a field on one PC, it would automatically update in on another PC. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Any other ideas what is going wrong? Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

a) are you just changing a field, or have you actually posted the changed record?

b) could you have some code buried in the app that sets the network refresh to zero (which actually turns off the refresh)?
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    a) are you just changing a field, or have you actually posted the changed record?

b) could you have some code buried in the app that sets the network refresh to zero (which actually turns off the refresh)?
    a) The form has a table in edit mode, so I just change the value of a field on the form. But I also tried it with going to the actual table and making the change there (then moving off the record). That updated my development form, but didn't update the XP PC. But I know that both PCs are pointing at that same data as I can exit the form, then return, and it is then correct.

b) Certainly not that I know about. What would I search for to look for that? Can I set something to force it to work?

Thanks very much, I appreciate the help.

sounds more like network refresh, not internal refresh.. oplocks, write caching, etc.. as I suggest in almost EVERY thread here, go to the paradox community site, where you'll find way more help than just me..

Home - Paradox Community

go to Support / Newsgroups
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

tyvm Steve, giving that a try now.