Unanswered: mysql is open source!!!!! what exactly it meant?

Good Afternoon,

About MySql one thing is frequently written- It is open source,
    open source software- a software which can access by anyone , anyone can see the source code, anyone can update, anyone can use it to make s/w for public use,
    also when u use open source s/w for commercially use { means making money with this } then u have to pay the charge for it....
    this is my knowledge about open source software, may be its right , may be wrong!!!!!

MySql is also open source, I want to know , if i use this in my web application { i get highly paid by client again this web application } then i need to pay anything to mysql owner? { i need to bought license to use it}
    I tried to write about my problem, please Help me to clear it......

Open source means Your allow to change the source code

MySQL is also available as enterprise edition where you have to pay for
    support

open source!!!!!

Let me clear....
    if i use this in my web application { i get highly paid by client again this web application } then i need to pay anything to mysql owner? { i need to bought license to use it}

Quote Originally Posted by ankur02018 View Post
    Open source means Your allow to change the source code

MySQL is also available as enterprise edition where you have to pay for
    support
    Amit Pathak
    S/w Developer
    Zero Systems Pvt Ltd..

Provided Answers: 54
    Consult MySQL :: Commercial License for OEMs, ISVs and VARs for details, but you have not been able to use MySQL for profit (either as part of a software package or sold as a service) for some time. The only exception that allows you to distribute MySQL without charge is when you give a copy of MySQL as part of a GPL or FOSS licensed package that you distribute.

In other words, if you collect even a penny for a product that uses MySQL then you as a developer (and possibly your client too depending on the license that you buy) owe Oracle for the appropriate licenses.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

As a related note, the licensing consideration is one of the things that caused me to start the http://www.dbforums.com/mysql/166936...l-changes.html thread. I think that a lot of MySQL users still think that they can use MySQL for free either as end users or as product developers, and Oracle emphatically does NOT see MySQL licensing that way.

The two products that I mentioned in the other thread are descendants of the last "free" version of MySQL. To the best of my knowledge, those products are still available to the public at no charge. You can choose to buy support for these engines, but I don't know of any licensing that is needed.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I think that a lot of MySQL users still think that they can use MySQL for free either as end users or as product developers, and Oracle emphatically does NOT see MySQL licensing that way.
    That was the case as well before Oracle owned MySQL. The licensing situation has not changed.
    MySQL has never been "free" for commercial usage or packaging.

Shammat is basically right on all points... I believe that MySQL was once available without license requirements of any kind, but whether it was or wasn't isn't material to me.

Now that Oracle owns MySQL, their legal department is agressively pursuing "low hanging fruit" for license fees. They are especially interested in recovering punitive damages from violators, especially when they sense an "easy target" that will generate significant revenue. At least from my perspective this is definitely a change in terms of prosecution of software vendors using MySQL.

-PatP