Unanswered: Cannot start db. Crash recovery fails

During the increased activity in the database, it crashed with errors:" Log File has reached its saturation point. DIA8309C Log file was full. Marking log bad state. "
    The database used circular type of logging.
    We have changed the logging to archive and increased primary and secondary log, but nothing helped. We still can not start database and it reports errors during activation or restart: "found an old page in the log file. ZRC = 0x8610000D =- 2045771763 = SQLP_BADLOG "Log File can not be used" DIA8414C Logging can not continue due to an error. TailPage 0 does not match pagePso 3122607383 and firstLso 3000327297th Crash recovery failed with rc -2029059759. "CDPROD" marked bad. "
    We don't have a database backup.
    We changed the log in the archive, increased log primary and secondary, installed a new version of DB2 Express C 9.7.4, and tried uncatalog/catalog db, tried to restart, tried to deactivate/activate but we always get the same error 55032 db inconsistent and in db2diag Log File can not be used...
    If someone has an idea how to activate the databse, or at least save the data from the databse, please tell us.

Provided Answers: 11
    I don't see immediatly a solution
    if data is still needed - IBM has a product HPU that can extract data from a database that is down and will create csv/ixf files directly from tablespace containers without calling db2
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Do you have some other solution? We are not in a position that we can buy a new product only for this purpose.

Looks like you are in a situation similar to
    As bad as it gets - A DB2 support nightmare!!

As mentioned in this piece, use db2dart.

There are some restrictions (eg. cannot extract LOBs). Can't think of anything better for your situation.

IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX and Windows Information Center

You have to first run this tool with an option to extract table and tablespace ids. With that information, you can use the DDEL option to dump the data to an ascii file.

I hope you have DDLs. Otherwise, it is going to be difficult to recreate objects .

BTW, have you tried developerWorks : Information Management : IBM DB2 Express Forum ?
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s View Post
    I already see a thread there
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Customer hired Triton Consulting to help them with extracting the data using db2dart?

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Customer hired Triton Consulting to help them with extracting the data using db2dart?
    Obviously, I don't an answer to your question

But, as a sidenote : I view this as a lot more than just extracting data using db2dart.
    It is an end to end process. Someone who understands what they are doing is important, knowing 'what to do' and 'how to do' to get the production database up and running . More so, with an unsupported DB2 version .

If the support staff have limited experience with DB2, a scenario like what the OP has described is not easy to handle in a Priority 1 situation even with the IBM support. Just my view.

"We are not in a position that we can buy a new product only for this purpose"
    I know you can get a license by day, in our country. This is THE tool you need and will allow you to create ixf/del exports of your data if the containers are still ok.
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    I know you can get a license by day, in our country. This is THE tool you need and will allow you to create ixf/del exports of your data if the containers are still ok.
    Guy,
    For information sake- Is this a standard license model for HPU or something to negotiate with the IBM same rep ?

---
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 08-31-11 at 04:22. Reason: typo

I have worked for different customers where we needed this product - just for a specific case, and it was no problem to get the license.. I don't know the type of license, but it was possible for different customers..

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    I have worked for different customers where we needed this product - just for a specific case, and it was no problem to get the license.. I don't know the type of license, but it was possible for different customers..
    Thanks Guy. That is an useful piece of info.

Obviously, I don't an answer to your question

Sorry, this should have been a statement, not a question.

In my opinion, every shop needs a DBA who understands the importance of taking regular backups (this was a small but important db!) and knows how to recover data. Some "DBA's" don't even know basis stuff and you need to spell out the commands for them.