Thread: Learning SQL

Question Learning SQL

I've become very intrigued with learning SQL & eventually database administration. I know that SQL is nothing new & there's tons of material out there but I have zero programming language background. I'm just am a Linux System Administrator and deal with basic Bash and general console tasks. My question is now that I've become intrigued with learning SQL basics and fundamentals, how I can learn SQL. Obviously I've installed a database engine (PostgreSQL) at work on a server and I've learned how to use SQL to build databases, roles, and tables. I've also successfully filled the tables with data but beyond that I'm looking for valuable resources that can show me how to use SELECT, UPDATE, ALTER, and other commonly used SQL commands for small, medium, and large databases.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I checked on Amazon.com and I see a few books not too old that pertain to SQL however I have no idea if the information is valuable or what I'm looking for.

If you are looking for practical, entry level SQL without a lot of theory or mumbo-jumbo, I'd recommend Simply SQL - SitePoint Books as a good place to start. It appears to be in reprint right now, so you can probably order and get the current electronic versions while you wait for the new printed version of the book.

Best of all, you can abuse the author (r937) here on DBForums!

-PatP

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Yes. I would like SQL as simplistic as possible to start as building blocks and eventually learn my way up to more complex SQL stuff like building dynamic tables from SELECT statements and other cool SQL things that are far above my head.