Unanswered: Permissions Question....

I'm working on a database that is shared on a network drive. I have Admin priv to do design, others in the office are in/out of the database while I'm working on it. Two other indvs have Admin rights as well. When either of them are in the DB, I can not go into Design view, it tells me I don't have exclusive rights. When I'm in it with exclusive rights, they can't even get in the DB at all. What do I need to change to be able to edit and work on this and still allow them to acces to view data at the same time? Is this possible?

Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm not an expert and what I do know about Access has been self taught and it's been a few years now since I really tapped into Access work.

Provided Answers: 14
    Don't open the objects of a database in design mode when it is in production and shared by other users, work on a copy. Also don't open the objects of a database in design mode when it's on a server. Many things can happen that will trouble the connection between your computer and the server and leave the database in a corrupt state. Once more, work on a local copy you open in exclusive mode and update the server when you're done.

Believe me, this will spare you several sleepless nights.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Don't open the objects of a database in design mode when it is in production and shared by other users, work on a copy. Also don't open the objects of a database in design mode when it's on a server. Many things can happen that will trouble the connection between your computer and the server and leave the database in a corrupt state. Once more, work on a local copy you open in exclusive mode and update the server when you're done.

Believe me, this will spare you several sleepless nights.
    This was my concern as well and would prefer to be doing this; however, if I'm working on a copy what do I do about changes/updates that they make to the data while I'm working on it offline? Any way to easily integrate data changes into my copy so when I put the copy into production it contains all the updates?

Provided Answers: 59
    do not develop on the live copy of the db, its a recipie for disaster.
    far better to split the db into two:-

the front end contains the user interface (forms, reports and so on)
    the back end the data (tables)

work on your own copy of the front end, and have your own copy of the data, so you are not at risk of corrupting or changing live data. when you have completed changes to the front end relink to the production data and deploy the revised front end.

when it comes to deployment deploy and individual copy of the front end to each user, but leave the live data on a shared network drive. in an ideal world that network drive should be controlled by network permissions so only specific authorised users can access the data.

if you are making design changes then you must have exclusive rights to the db. so dont' work on a live production db.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    do not develop on the live copy of the db, its a recipie for disaster.
    far better to split the db into two:-

the front end contains the user interface (forms, reports and so on)
    the back end the data (tables)

work on your own copy of the front end, and have your own copy of the data, so you are not at risk of corrupting or changing live data. when you have completed changes to the front end relink to the production data and deploy the revised front end.

when it comes to deployment deploy and individual copy of the front end to each user, but leave the live data on a shared network drive. in an ideal world that network drive should be controlled by network permissions so only specific authorised users can access the data.

if you are making design changes then you must have exclusive rights to the db. so dont' work on a live production db.
    i know these are all stupid questions and Im sorry...but how to I create a front end/back end? They are very reluctant to let me work on this off-line afraid we will end up with two copies of the data. What is the best approach to get this into a positionw here I can work on it while they can do their daily functions as well?

Provided Answers: 14
    1. Create a new database (Back-end)
    2. Open it and import all the tables from the original database into it except the system table (those that begin with MSys...) (File --> External Data --> Import)
    3. Create a new database (Front-end)
    4. open it and import every objects (queries, forms, reports, macros, modules) except the tables from the original database into it (File --> External Data --> Import).
    5. Link the tables of the back-end to the front-end (File External Data --> Link Tables).

There is also an Assistant that can do the job (Tools --> Database Utilities --> Database Splitter), but I never used it so I can't explain how it works.

Test the splitted system. Do not try to modify the logic of the program at that moment: if anything goes wrong you'll not be able to determine whether it's because of the splitting or if it's because of the changes you made. Only perform the modifications you want or need when you're sure that the splitted system works like the original does.

When you are ready, archive the original database, copy the back-end on the server. Relink the tables in the front-end (Tools --> Database Utilities --> Linked Table Manager), re-test everything then distribute a copy of the front-end on all client computers.
    Have a nice day!