Unanswered: Multi Row Tabbed Form

I'm trying something new, a multi row tabbed form. I started out by creating a new from, dropping a tab control onto it and creating 10 tabs. The width of the control quickly expanded to 19.5". I then decided to make it muli row and set the multi row property to Yes. My problem is that I don't know how force it into 3 rows. It won't let me change the width of the contol to 6.5" which would force it into 3 rows.

Simple question, how do change this from a single row, 19.5" form into a 3 row 6.5" form?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
    Last edited by paxham; 08-31-11 at 14:35. Reason: accuracy

Provided Answers: 14
    Usually whe you set the MultiRow property of a Tab Control to Yes (True) it would be possible to narrow the form and have the tabs on several rows. From MSDN (Changing the Appearance of the Windows Forms TabControl)
    To create multiple rows of tabs

Add the desired number of tab pages.
    Set the Multiline property of the TabControl to true.
    If the tabs do not already appear in multiple rows, set the Width property of the TabControl to be narrower than all the tabs.
    Have a nice day!

That's the problem. When I change the width, it just snaps back to 19.5". I've tried doing it in the property sheet and just dragging, but neither seems to work.

Are you sure there isn't a control that is outside (on the right) of the dimension you try to resize the Tab control to? Also, what version of the Tab control do you use?
    Have a nice day!

It doesn't seem to work that way for me. I just created a blank form and dropped a tab control on it. I changed the multi row property to Yes and added about 8 more tabs. When I try to change the width property to 3", it auto adusts to accomodate all the tabs, i.e. original width was 8.5 which I changed to 3. When I hit enter the form changes width to 5.4479". I can drag it wider, but not narrower. No matter what I do, all tabs stay on the same row.

I'm using Access 2010.

My keepers like the tabbed control idea, but suggested I only display the tab selected by a combo box on a subform. This worked quite well with this piece of code.

Dim tabPage As Object, intReport as Integer

intReport = Me.cboSubmissionType - 1

For Each tabPage In Form_frmReportSubmission.tabSubmissionType.Pages

If tabPage.PageIndex = intReport Then
    tabPage.Visible = True
    Else
    tabPage.Visible = False
    End If

Next

So now I have a pretty slick looking form except for the fact that it is still almost 20" wide. I'd sure like to know why I can't get this to convert into a multi row form.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Nice trick. Thanks for sharing!
    Have a nice day!

You're welcome. I'm still trying to solve my multi row tab problem. Even though I only show the selected tab, in Design View the control and the form still stretch off the screen making for a rather awkward report design.

I still am looking for suggestions with this. I still cannot reduce my form width to any value less than the physical width it takes to show all the tab captions. This is an important issue since this form will be one of the primary forms in my application.

Here's another clue. I took this database home and loaded it on my Access 2007 machine and the control switched to multirow just like it was supposed to. I'm still having the same problem at work.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the Tab control in Access 2010. There's an active bug report about that control at Microsoft's.

A solution (kind of!) to your problem is given at: Microsoft Access 2010: How to create Multiple row for tab - Microsoft Answers
    Have a nice day!

Wa la!

Yes, that did it. Thank you.

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!