Unanswered: Debugging ASP/HTM using Visual Studio 2010

Let me begin by saying I'm a SQL DB Developer that has been given a Web application to maintain (add and fix). The database is Microsoft SQL Server and the Web is using .asp and .htm pages. It was originally developmented in ASP Runner and we are now using Visual Studio to development. The web files and database are on the same server. I have visual studio 2010 loaded on my desktop. I can modify web files and can immediately see changes on the application web site. When the changes work, everythings great. But when something goes wrong, I don't seem to be given any good messages to let me know what's up. I can't seem to get the Debugger in Visual Studio to allow me to 1) start up the app, 2) step through the app, and 3) obtain a decent error message that helps me resolve my issue. When I do start up the Debugger with the main menu asp page, I get the following error:

The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden. The extension '.asp' may be incorrect. Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    You might have to enable web extensions on your web server. They are not enabled by default. Also, if it's classic asp you will not be able to step through the code barring some new visual studio tricks that I'm not aware of.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks, I'll pass onto our Server Team.

What messages are you getting back? Are they basic HTTP 500 messages?

You could be losing the error message due to your browser hiding them. In IE there is a setting under Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing for Show friendly HTTP error messages, if this is ticked, uncheck it and your should see the error in all it's glory.

There may be a similar setting in IIS but I can't remeber exactly where that is, should be easy to find with a poke around.

From a debugging perspective you are pretty much stuck, from memory there is no nice debugging available, your best hope is getting the full error messages displayed.