Thread: MS Access Query

Smile Unanswered: MS Access Query

Hi All,

Can any one help me in creating query in MS access for the below formula;

=IF(A2=A3,0,1)

Example:
    The query has to match the first and second record if it matches then it will update as "0".

Can anyone tell how i can do that?

Thanks i advance.

Regards,

Vinoth

Provided Answers: 14
    Your "formula" looks like something out of Excel or another spreadsheet. It is meaningless in the context of Access. A query works on tables (or other queries) that have columns and each column has a name.

You cannot refer to the contents of a field with a "A1" notation. For the column you have to specify its name and for the row there is nothing like an absolute row number: it depends on the current index set on the table (if any) as well as on the sort order you specify in the query (again if any).
    Have a nice day!

Are you doing this on a form in an unbound field or in a query? either way the formula is the same.

=IIF([Field Title 1] = [Field Title 2], "0","1")

Actually both are from the same column value. in that case which query i need to use?

Quote Originally Posted by vinwin06 View Post
    Actually both are from the same column value. in that case which query i need to use?
    Ah didnt realise all the data was in the same column. You may not be able to do it.

Whats the data? and why do you need to compare it?

I need to compare whether the PO numbers are unique and if the first and second value are not same then it will update as "1", its same then it vl update as "0".

Provided Answers: 14
    Usually this kind of operation is performed using updates queries.

1. To change the value of a column to 1 for rows with duplicate values in a column:
    Code:
    UPDATE TableName
    SET ColumnToUpdate = 1
    WHERE ColumnToCheck IN (
        SELECT TableName.ColumnToCheck
        FROM TableName
        WHERE ((TableName.ColumnToCheck In (SELECT [ColumnToCheck] FROM [TableName] As Tmp GROUP BY [ColumnToCheck] HAVING Count(*)>1 )))
        ORDER BY TableName.ColumnToCheck
    );
    2. To change the value of a column to 0 for rows with no duplicate values in a column:
    Code:
    UPDATE TableName
    SET ColumnToUpdate = 1
    WHERE ColumnToCheck IN (
        SELECT TableName.ColumnToCheck
        FROM TableName
        WHERE ((TableName.ColumnToCheck In (SELECT [ColumnToCheck] FROM [TableName] As Tmp GROUP BY [ColumnToCheck] HAVING Count(*)=1 )))
        ORDER BY TableName.ColumnToCheck
    );
    Have a nice day!