Thread: Duplicate Data

Unanswered: Duplicate Data

I have a report based off of a query that pulls information from tables such as demographics and names of folks my agency has served in various programs throughout the last fiscal year.

What I need to know is where do I begin if I want to ensure that the information is unduplicated?

Do I need to be more specific?

Provided Answers: 59
    yes
    the quality of the reports is basaed on the quality of the data
    if you want to exclude duplicates then you need to take appropriate steps to identify duplicates, work out which of the duplicate rows is 'the' one to keep and which can be discarded. unless you have some piece of information such as an import date and can spot that specific import date is the duplicate then you have to go through each row manually to find possible problem rows

you also need to work out why and where your duplicates are coming from. having got your data clean then you need to take steps to make certain it doens't become polluted again.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

My data is fairly clean...but the way I had to set up my db means that we have several individuals participating in several different groups.

So for a clearer look:

Suppose Jack Smith participates in group A and group B.

My report is sorted by demographic information for Jack...such as ethnicity, gender, and age group.

As it is now, my report shows data grouped by ethnicity, followed by gender, followed by age group...then within those criteria are names listed alphabetically by last name.

So since Jack Smith is involved in several different agency events, he will undoubtedly appear in more than one category.

I should add that what I need from my report is a breakdown of individuals served within a specified time period sorted by the above mentioned demographic information.

Provided Answers: 59
    sorry I don't understand the problem you have
    it sounds to me as if your data model is suspect (ie its not set up to preclude the chance of data duplication.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton