Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Olde Corral

I've seen that, coupled with public being explicitly granted execute on xp_cmdshell. I couldn't work there for long due to the entire operation running with similar practices. Just couldn't do it.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

there are no problems. just opportunities. I love this place. I never get bored and there are always plenty of opportunities every day.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    there are no problems. just opportunities. I love this place. I never get bored and there are always plenty of opportunities every day.
    Was the boss looking over your shoulder when you wrote that, Sean? I am too lazy to go back and look, but could swear a week or so ago you were ready to bail out of that place. Hmmmmm...
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Mood swings. Comes with the diabetes and elevated testosterone. And Rudy, eveyrthing should be in a stored procedure for the pure and simple reason that it just makes managing your database code easier. Otherwise I would have inline sql in many many places and that is just too hard to manage with regards to finiding dependencies and such.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

We have quite a bit of "inline" SQL in our older code...but fortunately over time that has changed a bit. Still run into it every once in a while.

I'm bored lately and tired of office politics. Only 14 more years (or so) until I can retire and move to bolivia and work on ruining my liver there.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

speaking of the liver, the doctor is on me because I made the mistake of getting my bloodwork done a day or 2 after I got back from a 4 day metal concert where we drank all day for 96 hours and he is saying something about elevated liver enzymes. I tried to tell him that was a once a year kind of thing, but he has me pegged, rightly or wrongly, as a lush until my next labs come back better, so I have been scling back the booze. Everything sucks.

I suspect I will hear something similar in my annual physical (thrice delayed by me or them) because last year she called with the test results and said "are you cutting back on the drinking?" (made the mistake of taking my wife along the previous year and she told the doc I was drinking like a fish) and I mostly lied and said "yes" and she said "good, because you'll see on the test results, but a couple of them are out of normal range". I never picked up the results, but will get them when I go in this year. I like to keep them in a file at home just to see the changes over time. Last year I went in on a Monday after a weekend-long drinking party-fest, so I kind of expected some skewed results that year. Been kicking out the drinking during the week over the past couple of weeks, and when I go for my physical on the 27th will get wellbutrin to help kick the smoking.

Damn...gambling (and the kinky sex thing) is going to be my only vice left.

Bastards.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

elevated liver enzymes
    Is your doctor required to report that to the Dept of motor vehicles, or whoever issues driver's licenses?

No, but I am on the state of virginia's dmv medically questionable drivers lists due to a low blood sugar reading taken by the paramedics following a car crash in a blizzard.

I have never had a DUI of any degree or kind or degree. I have failed 3 roadside sobriety tests and passed the subsequent breathalyzers thrice dissapointing the police on hand. :-).

Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    it's the classic example of adhering to corporate DBA rules that all SQL must be executed via stored procedures
    I've had clients with the opposite restriction: no stored procedures allowed. One actually stored all of their sql statements in XML files. No kidding.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    I've had clients with the opposite restriction: no stored procedures allowed. One actually stored all of their sql statements in XML files. No kidding.
    I enjoy clients like that in some ways... Nested cursors with dynamci SQL are like shooting fish in a barrel. You come in, make a few changes and improve performance beyond their wildest expectations.

The only downside is that you establish wildly unreasonable expecations from that point on so you run the almost certain risk of diappointing them on subsequent visits.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by TallCowboy0614 View Post
    Damn...gambling (and the kinky sex thing) is going to be my only vice left.
    If done properly, those are more than sufficient!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    The only downside is that you establish wildly unreasonable expecations from that point on so you run the almost certain risk of dissappointing them on subsequent visits.
    Yep. The old Peter Principle and our lot in life I am afraid. The ever rising expectations game happens to me at every gig. That is the gig though, isn't it? The job is problem solving and you are only as good as your last dog and poney trick, or donkey show.

Donkey shows remind me of Tijuana, not sure why...*shrug*
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

We had one of our VP's pass this past weekend due to an extended bout with cancer. I worked with her a time or two on various projects, and she was one of the original folks hired by the founder. I didn't really know her well enough to contribute much to the "guestbooks", memory pages, etc. being done...feel a little guilty about that, but I really didn't know her too well, so would feel kinda odd contributing.

Still, it's only the second time in my career so far a company I have worked for lost someone that high up in the organization. Only other time we lost the actual founder/president of that company, but he was already semi-retired at that point. Still I felt much closer to him than this time around. He was a coder initially, and a hardware guy that worked with us and gave us pep talks regularly until the IPO, then we didn't see much of him. His wife was the one that hired me for that gig and she was my boss for a decade or so, and we had a few parties at his house. That one was easier to contribute to, but even then I didn't have any stories to relate. Although I did pee next to him in the company bathroom once. He knew I worked for him, so we would acknowledge each other in passing, but never really talked one-on-one to him either.

I guess I am just contemplating here...no real point to my madness.
    Last edited by TallCowboy0614; 09-14-11 at 14:24.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.