Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: connect to btrieve locally but not to server

Hello,

I have been trying to connect to .btr files on a server using an odbc connection in MS Access.

So far I have been able to connect to some .btr files by copying the ddf's and the .btr files without pathnames in the XF$LOC table into the DEMODATA folder on my C Drive.

However I have had no success at all connecting to the ddf's or the .btr files that are on the server location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    P

Provided Answers: 4
    What kind of behavior are you getting? Are you getting an error? If so, what is it?
    Where is PSQL running (local client or server)? What version are you using?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Hello,

I get the errors attached on the Word document both when I try to test the ODBC connection within ODBC administrator and whn I try to use the ODBC connection in access.

I have loaded the PLSQL client tools onto my local client. I imagine it is also on the server as the software that uses the database must need this to be on the server

The client version of WBTRV32.DLL is 6.15.451.79.

The DDF's and .btr files are also on a remote server and I have a mapped drive to this folder.

The frustrating thing is that I am able to connect to the ddf's using Crsytal Reports and view the tables so feel there must also be a way to do this in access

Thanks
    P
    Attached Files Attached Files

6.15 is a very old version of Btrieve and didn't come with an ODBC driver. Are you sure that's what is installed?
    If you installed the PSQL "CLIENT", you will not be able to access files locally. You need a PSQL engine installed to open data files stored locally.

If your DDFs and data files are stored on a remote server with the PSQL engine running on it, you should create a Pervasive Engine DSN on the server, then create a Pervasive Client DSN on the client. Once you've done that, Access should be able to open the tables.

That being said, the errors you posted in the Word doc are related to paths in the DDFs or the DBName configuration. Do you get that error on all tables or only some? If you can open X$FILE, look at the XF$LOC field. If there's paths and filenames, you either need to remove the paths or copy your data into corresponding paths.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

When I installed the client tools it installed and engine and the ODBC driver on the client PC at the same time. (it installed the control center, system analayser etc)

The only other file I could find that had any information about a version was called History and said " Pervasive.SQL 2000i v7.9"

The error I get is on all the tables and also when I press "test" in the ODBC administrator

Thanks
    P

The Pervasive CLIENT cannot connect to local files. It can only connect to remote files.

To connect to local files, you need Pervasive WORKGROUP or SERVER engine installed.

If you are getting the error opening every table, including the X$FILE, you may have some really bad DDFs. Are the DDFs from a third party application or something you've developed? If it's from a third party application, have you contacted the vendor to get updated DDFs?
    Mirtheil Software

Hi,

Thanks for your help. On the client PC I dont want to connect to local files so is it correct to say that on the client PC it is sufficient to have the CLIENT toools with the engine and odbc driver that came with that.

On the server it also has the Pervasive engine. I assume it was a server installation. I checked though and there isnt an ODBC DSN set up on the server.

When I copy the DDF's and the tables with no path into the DEMODATA folder I can connect to them with no problem which is why I was hoping the ddf's were OK.

When I get the error I meant that I get it in Access when I try to connect to the btr tables. In the Pervasive control center I can view the X$File table with no problems.

Thanks again for your help
    P

Thanks for your help. On the client PC I dont want to connect to local files so is it correct to say that on the client PC it is sufficient to have the CLIENT toools with the engine and odbc driver that came with that.
    That is correct. The CLIENT tools should be sufficient.

When I copy the DDF's and the tables with no path into the DEMODATA folder I can connect to them with no problem which is why I was hoping the ddf's were OK.
    You should really create an ODBC DSN and Pervasve Database name pointing to the original data or at least a full copy of the data in a different location.

When I get the error I meant that I get it in Access when I try to connect to the btr tables. In the Pervasive control center I can view the X$File table with no problems.
    Try using the newly created DSN (see above) from the PCC. Does it work for all the tables you need to access? If not, are the errors the same as you've posted before?
    Mirtheil Software

Hello again,

Thanks for your help.

Regarding the above :-

You should really create an ODBC DSN and Pervasve Database name pointing to the original data or at least a full copy of the data in a different location.

it is this par that I am quite a bit stuck on.

The reason I moved the ddf's and the btr files that dont have a path in the X$File table was just to check that the ddfs and the btr files were OK and that it was possible to connect from Access. That part worked OK.

It was the next part -> connecting to the original files on the server that I was getting in a right mess over!

Thanks again for your advice and direction
    P

Once you create the DSN/ DBN pointing to the original files (or a full copy), post any errors you get and we'll try to help.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi,

Thanks for your help

I think the first thing I need to do is create an Engine DSN on the server and then a Client DSN on the client PC.

I have been trying to use an Engine DSN from the client PC to the original files on the server and getting the error O posted earlier but given your help above I think this is incorrect. Is that fair to say?

Regarding the DBName can I give it any name i.e. Test or does it have to be a specific name?

Thanks
    P

I think the first thing I need to do is create an Engine DSN on the server and then a Client DSN on the client PC.
    That's right.

I have been trying to use an Engine DSN from the client PC to the original files on the server and getting the error O posted earlier but given your help above I think this is incorrect. Is that fair to say?
    Creating an Engine DSN on the client pointing to remote data is not the correct behavior if you have a server engine running on the remote data.

Regarding the DBName can I give it any name i.e. Test or does it have to be a specific name?
    You can usually give it any name. I prefer something relevant to the data being used.

One thing you should make sure of is that both the client and the server are running the same version of PSQL. If you still have errors once you create the engine DSN and client DSN, post them. Can you connect to the database using the Pervasive Control Center?
    Mirtheil Software

Hello,

When you said can I connect to the database using the Control Center did you mean on the client PC or on the server?

Thanks
    P

Both. You should be able to connect using the PCC on both the client and server.
    Mirtheil Software

Hello,

From the client I open PCC and right click the icon Pervasive.SQL 2000i Engines

I choose "register new engine" and it comes up witha dialog box with "computer name:" and a textbox underneath. When I click the browse button I expande "entire network" and select the server on which the ddf and btr file are stored (they are in a folder on this server).

I then press test and get "connection to.....has been performed succesfully"

When I expand the server node in PCC it says there are no child items.

I can connect to the DEMODATA database on the client PC without any problems

Thanks again
    P