Unanswered: Need help opening MS Access database

Hello,

Back in 2000 I made a copy of several ms access databases onto a zip 100 disk. The computer I was using to make a copy may not have been the server PC. When I open the zip 100 disk, I see the individual databases with their respective size. But when I try to open any of them with the ms access on my pc (2000 ver 9) I get a "Invalid Argument" message on all and can't open.

Any suggestions to even view the field names would be helpful.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 19
    Zip disks tend to be problematical when used in conjunction with Access, frequently corrupting the Access files. There have been many, many threads here and elsewhere on the subject, and the general consensus as to the etiology of this is that the disks indicate that the transfer from the original location to the disk is complete when, in fact, it isn't! The obvious workaround, if you absolutely have to use this type of transfer medium, is to wait ten seconds or so before disconnecting the zip disk, giving it time to complete the transfer. Best solution is to use a standard CD.

Are you trying to actually open the files while they reside on the zip or have you copied them to your PC before attempting to open them?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks Missinglinq,

I have been trying to access them straight from the disk, but just tried copying them onto my pc. I get "Cannot copy : The parameter is incorrect"

This is a copy I made over 10 years ago and just got a used zip drive to try and access the information I copied onto a disk. But the PC I had originally made a copy from may have not been the server PC in the network. Don't know if that effects data.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by AG7757 View Post
    Back in 2000 I made a copy of several ms access databases...
    Just noticed the exact wording of your original post. You said

Back in 2000

Does this mean that you were using Access 2000 or was it an earlier version?

Another thought that occurred to me is the possibility of missing references on the current copy of Access you're using. When apps run fine on one machine and not on another or run fine in one version and not when run under a newer version, the first thing you have to think about are missing references.

If you haven't done this before, here are Doug Steele's detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem:

Access Reference Problems

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

It is a possibility that the version that I was copying from may have been a version earlier than 2000.

I will research the reference situation.

Any other suggestions on why I can't open these?

Thanks