Unanswered: db2diag tool doesn't use attached instance db2diag.log

8.2/9.1 on Windows

It's been a while since I've worked on a Windows environment and this one has several instances defined on the same box. I would have assumed that when I run db2diag that it picks up the db2diag.log of the instance I am currently attached to, but it's not doing this. I can specifiy the path to the diag.log in the db2diag command and this works fine.... but if I don't specify a path to the file it looks like it defaults to the db2diag.log of the first created instance.

Can't find any doco on this.... Normal behavior or a poorly configured install?
    Last edited by meehange; 09-06-11 at 02:20.

Provided Answers: 11
    have you tried : set db2instance=xxx to work with that instance instead of attach
    execute db2diag..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by meehange View Post
    I would have assumed that when I run db2diag that it picks up the db2diag.log of the instance I am currently attached to
    Why would you? db2diag is an application that runs in its own process space, and as such it has no way of knowing what db2bp (another application) is attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    Why would you? db2diag is an application that runs in its own process space, and as such it has no way of knowing what db2bp (another application) is attached to.
    I dunno, I would have though the utility a little more useful/user friendly if it were context sensitive. After all I'm obviously more likely to want to perform diagnostics on the instance/DB that I'm currently connected to, right?

przytula_guy - that worked a treat, thanks