Question Unanswered: Language issue in Access

Hi,

I am learning MS Access and is facing issues with running a query. The table on which the query is based on, has a memo field that accepts English letters and on opening the table I get the desired field in English however when running the query I am getting a different language (appears to be Chinese or Japanese) for that particular column. Can someone help.

Thanks
    -Som

Provided Answers: 19
    What exactly are you doing in this Query? One of the caveats in using Memo Fields is that they should only be used to store and display data. You should not attempt to do any kind of data manipulation against these Fields!

What you're seeing is actually garbage, although usually described as 'Chinese' or 'Japanese' characters. In Access 2000 and later a Memo Field will exhibit this kind of behavior if

• You've done a GROUP BY on a Memo Field.
    • Your query contains a JOIN on an Unindexed Field.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thumbs up Thanks for feedback

Thanks Missinglinq,

No, I am not doing any data manipulation, actually I have a group by clause since I was trying to have a crosstab query. Is there any other solution by which I can get the data.. also want to understand if I change memo to text what will happen to the existing data and the related queries.

Truly appreciate your help.

Thanks
    -Som

Provided Answers: 19
    Never use Crosstab Queries but I'm guessing that this the problem. Hopefully someone familiar with this creature will come along and take a look at your problem.

As for changing the Memo Field to a Text Field, you'll lose all data beyond 255 characters. In point of fact, this is the more commonly seen problem with using Memo Fields and Queries.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007