Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    48

    Unanswered: Form and Subform

    Hi,

    I am not sure if this is possible.

    I want to create a form with a subform that uses data, one from a query that pulls data from table1 and one that uses table1.

    I want to have one part being a list, datasheet view, that has just a limited amount of the data like 5 fields but you are able to see all of it.

    The other part, I want to have all of the fields, but in form view.

    When ever I try this though, if I make the main form datasheet view, then the subform won't open unless I change the view to form view.

    If I have the main form as the form view, the datasheet view is open but they aren't link, so If I choose one from the list it doesn't open up all of the details?

    Hopefully this makes sense

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,442
    Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by grooner10 View Post
    I want to create a form with a subform that uses data, one from a query that pulls data from table1 and one that uses table1.
    Do you mean that the form data source is a query based on Table1) while the subform data source is Table1? If so, why don't you use a filter to derive a subset from Table1.

    Quote Originally Posted by grooner10 View Post
    When ever I try this though, if I make the main form datasheet view, then the subform won't open unless I change the view to form view.
    This is the normal behaviour of an Access form in DataSheet View. You need to create a Parent (main) form that will act as a container and include the 2 forms you have now (one in datasheet view and one in form view) into it. You'll have to eventually orchestrate the communications between both subforms, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by grooner10 View Post
    If I have the main form as the form view, the datasheet view is open but they aren't link, so If I choose one from the list it doesn't open up all of the details?
    Can you elaborate?
    Have a nice day!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Do you mean that the form data source is a query based on Table1) while the subform data source is Table1? If so, why don't you use a filter to derive a subset from Table1.

    This is the normal behaviour of an Access form in DataSheet View. You need to create a Parent (main) form that will act as a container and include the 2 forms you have now (one in datasheet view and one in form view) into it. You'll have to eventually orchestrate the communications between both subforms, though.
    Yeah I do mean that.

    But I didn't know that before and just using a form as a main and linking the two would work perfect I think. Just how do I link them in access?
    Going to try and figure it out, but if there is an easy way let me know!

    thanks so much for the help!

    (I think I realized that the button thing is to complex for me, works fine without it)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,442
    Provided Answers: 14
    You're welcome!

    For explanations about referencing a form/subform from another form/subform, see: Forms: Refer to Form and Subform properties and controls
    Have a nice day!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •