Unanswered: Form and Subform

Hi,

I am not sure if this is possible.

I want to create a form with a subform that uses data, one from a query that pulls data from table1 and one that uses table1.

I want to have one part being a list, datasheet view, that has just a limited amount of the data like 5 fields but you are able to see all of it.

The other part, I want to have all of the fields, but in form view.

When ever I try this though, if I make the main form datasheet view, then the subform won't open unless I change the view to form view.

If I have the main form as the form view, the datasheet view is open but they aren't link, so If I choose one from the list it doesn't open up all of the details?

Hopefully this makes sense

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by grooner10 View Post
    I want to create a form with a subform that uses data, one from a query that pulls data from table1 and one that uses table1.
    Do you mean that the form data source is a query based on Table1) while the subform data source is Table1? If so, why don't you use a filter to derive a subset from Table1.

When ever I try this though, if I make the main form datasheet view, then the subform won't open unless I change the view to form view.
    This is the normal behaviour of an Access form in DataSheet View. You need to create a Parent (main) form that will act as a container and include the 2 forms you have now (one in datasheet view and one in form view) into it. You'll have to eventually orchestrate the communications between both subforms, though.

If I have the main form as the form view, the datasheet view is open but they aren't link, so If I choose one from the list it doesn't open up all of the details?
    Can you elaborate?
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Do you mean that the form data source is a query based on Table1) while the subform data source is Table1? If so, why don't you use a filter to derive a subset from Table1.

This is the normal behaviour of an Access form in DataSheet View. You need to create a Parent (main) form that will act as a container and include the 2 forms you have now (one in datasheet view and one in form view) into it. You'll have to eventually orchestrate the communications between both subforms, though.
    Yeah I do mean that.

But I didn't know that before and just using a form as a main and linking the two would work perfect I think. Just how do I link them in access?
    Going to try and figure it out, but if there is an easy way let me know!

thanks so much for the help!

(I think I realized that the button thing is to complex for me, works fine without it)

Provided Answers: 14
    You're welcome!

For explanations about referencing a form/subform from another form/subform, see: Forms: Refer to Form and Subform properties and controls
    Have a nice day!