Unanswered: Using IF function in Access-in a table

Hello.

I am looking for a way to calculate an "if" function using Access in one of my tables.

More specifically; I have a field that users will enter a date in which a driver license update is due. I also have a field that calculates today's date automatically. I want a field that can use the if function to determine if the update is due.

For example: =if([specified field]>=today's date, "yes", "no")

Here's what I tried to enter into the default value box....=IIf(Drivers License Expiration Date>=Today's Date,"Yes", "No")....to this end, I am receiving invalid sytax errors.

I am self taught, so try not to use big words..lol

Thanks in advance!

You're not specifying the name of the fields you're trying to use in your arithmatic.

When you enter the properties of the fields, its name will be the top one (under the 'All' tab), titled: 'Name'...

If your (text?)fields are displaying "Drivers License Expiration Date", then in your IIF statement you'll need to have:

Code:
    =IIf(Drivers_License_Expiration_Date>=Today's Date,"Yes", "No")
    Failing that you'll need to change it to whatever your (text?)field is called.

You also need to 'cast' (change its datatype) to be recognised as a date, instead of a string (some text), which it is being perceived to be at the moment. So you'll want to change it to:

Code:
    =IIf(#Drivers_License_Expiration_Date#>=Today's Date,"Yes", "No")

Also, you can use an Access built in Date() function to find todays date. So something like:

Code:
    =IIf(#Drivers_License_Expiration_Date#>=Date(),"Yes", "No")

Let me know how you get on... That should work fine, but feel free to ask if you have anymore queries.
    Looking for the perfect beer...

I tried the second coding you suggested and am receiving an error message stating that the expression has an invalid date value.

The function won't work if any of the expiration date is blank. Use the Nz function with a default date to handle blank/nulls:

=IIf(Nz(#Drivers_License_Expiration_Date#,#1/1/1900#)>=Date(),"Yes", "No")

I don't understand. The expiration date will be found in a separate field.

Provided Answers: 14
    In Access you're very limited in what you can enter for the default value in a table definition. As far as I know, you can't use a reference to another column of the same table or of another table, nor can you use any function you want: custom functions are forbidden and only a subset of built-in functions is allowed.
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho makes a good point.

I try to avoid the default value field like a mofo...

You'll have to write some VBA in that case, which won't be really any different to what you've already been given, you'll just have to put it in an After Update or Change event for the 'Drivers_License_Expiration_Date' textbox field.
    Looking for the perfect beer...