Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Microsux Replication wipes out tables without warning.

I set up transactional replication subscription between two database servers.

I specified for the parameter "Action if name is in use" that the agent should "Keep existing object unchanged".

Ran the agent. It dropped all the tables in the subscriber database, wiping out all my data, plus all my triggers and defaults.

I check the value of the "Action if name is in use" parameter and it is set to "Drop existing object and create a new one".

I change it back to "Keep existing object unchanged", close the publication properties, reopen the properties, and see that Microsoft has again reset the action to "Drop existing object and create a new one", without any warning.

Other than the entirely appropriate respons "F U Microsoft", can anyone come up with an explanation for this inexcusably bad programming?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

...same damn thing happened with Snapshot Replication.
    F U Microsoft.

blindman

Provided Answers: 54
    Assuming that you are running current service packs (there was a problem with RTM Replication for both 2005 and 2008), then I would check the distributor log file. Log file entries should tell you why the setting was changed.

This is why I use the stored procedures to set up replication myself instead of using the GUI. Writing the code makes me think. Seeing the code execute (especially the error messages) makes it very clear what I may have missed.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

No, I think I figured out what is going on.
    By default it sets to drop and recreate objects, without warning you, which is pretty lame behavior.
    Bringing up the properties box, you have the choice to change the option for a single object, or for all the objects in the description. The default setting for the "all objects" option is "drop and recreate", even if all the objects are set to "keep existing object unchanged". So if you bring this up and click OK, it resets everything. Again, without warning. But if I bring up an individual table they still show their individual settings.
    Its just a truly crappy interface.

blindman

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    Its just a truly crappy interface.
    I rarely if ever use the GUI because of previous negative experiences. You are very probably correct.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.