Unanswered: 8.2 SMS tablespace max limit questions

8.2 on Win 2000 Server

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out something with regard to SMS tablespace maximums. I have a 4k SMS tablespace approaching 64GB. I'm under the impression that I can exceed 64GB as long as no single table is bigger than 64GB. Is this correct?

What I actually have is:
    1 table with a long varchar 32700 (.DAT file is 15GB and .LF is 40GB :/)
    + 5.5GB of indexes
    1 133MB table

So I'm wondering:-
    • Do I need to take action before the tablespace hits 64GB?
    • If the max is actually per table is my table above limit calculated against 15GB or 55GB (DAT+LF)
    • Given that these guys are moving to 9.7 in less than 12 months what's the easiest way to sidestep the space issue if I am approaching a hard limit?

Last edited by meehange; 09-12-11 at 23:44.

If I were you, I would check the SQL Limits Appendix of the SQL Reference Vol 1. Just a note, Long Varchar is depricated (still supported in 9.7 but support may be removed in a future release). I would switch to VARCHAR or CLOB.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hey Marcus,

Thanks for the reply... I've checked the Appendix already but I'm trying to ensure I'm understanding it correctly...

I can't see it explicitly stated so based on the tables in the SQL Ref I'm infering that SMS can exceed 64GB based on the stuff in the Appendix A Table 33 (That a table can be max 64GB, likewise an index) but since there is no listed SMS Tablespace maximum size (in contrast to the 64GB max listed for DMS) that I could in theory have multiple tables and indexes of up to 64GB in one SMS TS.

My question is - Am I correct in this interpretation?

If so, then my next question becomes relevant - How is table size actually calculated when applied to this 64GB limit?
    Is it based on the DAT file or DAT+LF in my case... or is it based on the number of pages and if so which object pages are counted?

The table snap shows this tables as:
    Data Object Pages = 3660033
    Index Object Pages = 1378478
    Long Object Pages = 10213678
    Is it calculated as Data+Long or just Data or all three? :/

PS - totally in agreement on the Long Varchar... not my decision but think I'll be recommending they move to LOBs

Anyone know if I'm right in my assumptions or wanna give their 2c?