Unanswered: How do i export a Microsoft SQL Server backend system into Microsoft Access?

Hi there. This is my first post so i hope i haven't left anything out!

I've just started working at this small charity organization and one of the first things they want me to do is make them a Microsft Access system (easy enough).
    But one of the problem is, is that they already have a system made by someone else a couple of years ago which is pretty buggy. The system used a backend Mirosoft SQL Server Express 2000 and i need to export all the data from there into Access.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how i could gain access to the backend of the system so i could transfer that data.

I would have to ask you why do you want to move from SQL Server to MS Access? Is the bug at the application layer? There could be some logical errors at database level. Improperly written SP/Functions? bad table design?

Having said that, You can try importing data to MS Access.

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    If all you want to do is use MS-Access as a front end, SQL Server makes a fine backend for MS-Access and it offers many features that will make your life as a developer and your users lives better too.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 4
    I would never transfer data from SQL Server to MS Access. You will find lots of articles about migrating data from Access to SQL Server, I don't know if you will find any for the inverse. And for a reason.

Take Pat Phelan's advice at heart.

If the application contains bugs, debug the program if you can and you have access to the source code, otherwise rewrite it using your favourite programming language. But leave the data in SQL Server.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    If the existing programming simply used SQL Server as a container for the application's tables (no triggers, etc.), then the conversion is trivial.

If so, then just create an ODBC DSN pointing to the SQL database and, from within Access, use the External Data>Import>More>ODBC Datases function (depending upon the version of Access you are using) to Import the tables.

Depending upon how the tables were originally set up, you may need to recreate primary keys and indexes on the Access tables.

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2