Thread: Moving from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008
09-15-11, 12:00 #1Registered User
- Join Date
- Jul 2002
Unanswered: Moving from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008
We are going to move our production SQLs from SQL 2005 Standard edition to SQL 2008 Standard Edition; we are moving to a completly new box, so the plan is to do a restore from backups; what is the best way to approach the move of the following:
- Login Information from Master
- Replcation - we are currently replicating a database in the same box for reporting purposes
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
09-15-11, 12:18 #2Resident Curmudgeon
Provided Answers: 54
- Join Date
- Feb 2004
- In front of the computer
1) install SQL 2005 Stamdard Edition onto your new hardware
2) restore your database backups. including master and msdb
3) test to see that things work on the new machine
4) upgrade in place to SQL 2008 R2 Standard Edition
This adds a tiny bit of work to your upgrade process, but will save you hours or days because it will transfer EVERYTHING without exception... When something breaks at quarter or year end, you have no lingering doubts about possibly having forgotten something in the transfer process.
-PatPIn theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.