Unanswered: DB2 instance start on multiple node

Hi

Please help me to resolve this situation

I have a DB2 instance(db2inst1) with 2 Databases(consider DB1 and DB2) and the instance home and databases are in a shared disk.

Can i start the db2inst1 on 2 nodes at the same time??

If yes, can I access both the databases from both the nodes?

Thanks
    Arun

Arun,

One instance means one node.

Before you mentioned about are are having 2 databases in one instacne. Where is second node came form?

Did I unsderstand your question correctly?

No, you cannot access the same database from 2 different servers, unless you have DB2 PureScale (DB2 9.8). You can set up a shared disk system with 2 nodes for high availability, and point the applications to the second node if the first node goes down, usually by using a virtual IP address for the database that gets moved by a system administrator, who also starts DB2 on the other node when the first node is no longer available or DB2 is stopped on the first node. This is not used much anymore since the advent of HADR.

In addition to PureScale, there is DPF (Database Partitioning Feature) that "sort of" supports multiple node access, but that is more of a parallel database (or sharding) solution than what you are probably thinking of, since the database data is spread across the mutliple nodes and does not use shared disk for the data.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

@Smith:

Thanks smith for replying..

In this situation, both instance and database reside in a shared disk which is shared between two nodes.

@Marcus:

Thanks for the answer.

I understood what you have explained above..

whether each Database can be seperately on 2 nodes at the same time( like DB1 on node1 and DB2 on node2) ??

I believe it will prevent you from starting the same instance on two different nodes, even if you don't connect to a db, but not 100% certain since it has been a long time since I used a shared disk system like that (before HADR became available).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390