Unanswered: adding " +1 " to a field if YES (please read due to rubbish description!)

Hi guys, I'll attempt to explain the thread a title a bit better. I am trying to identify the effects of using certain prescribed drugs when taken together. Sp I have 5 different drugs, let's say drug 1,2...etc and I need a way to group together all people who have only taken 1 (random) drug, all people who have taken 2 (random) drugs etc etc up to 5 (random) drugs. So explicit combinations of certain drugs do not matter just yet. I have a database for all patients, and I have separate tables for all people using a certain drug that are in the general database, so I have something like:

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT A.PERSON FROM

(SELECT DISTINCT PERSON FROM PBASE) A

LEFT JOIN

(SELECT DISTINCT PERSON FROM DRUG1) B
    ON A.PERSON = B.PERSON

LEFT JOIN 

SELECT DISTINCT PERSON FROM DRUG2) C
    ON A.PERSON = C.PERSON
    --and so on
    So I'll end up with a table of 6 columns where the first is a list of the people in the general database, and the other 5 are columns where a "YES" is in the field if that person is on that particular drug.

Now the tricky part.....(well for me anyway)

I would like to add a 7th columns that counts all of the "YES" fields and gives me a total of the amount of drugs they have taken so that I get the entire combination of drugs they have been using.

Anyone have any suggestions how to do this? Hence the title of the thread being " adding +1 if "YES" "

Any help will be much appreciated!

I suppose I should be throwing the word increment around if am thinking of checking the field for a "YES" value and then adding 1 onto column 7 before moving onto the next column.

Provided Answers: 5
    I think this is what you want:

Code:
    alter table pbase add column num_drugs int;

update pbase as p set num_drugs = 
    (select count(*) from drug1 as d1 where d1.person =p.person and d1.is_taking = 'YES')
    +
    (select count(*) from drug2 as d2 where d2.person =p.person and d2.is_taking = 'YES')
    +
    (select count(*) from drug3 as d3 where d3.person =p.person and d3.is_taking = 'YES')
    Andy

Please supply sample data for your 6 tables and the final results which you want to get from the sample data.

The data across all tables simply contain an ID number (Person). The pbase table contains every ID number as it holds everyone. The other 5 columns contain ID numbers for people who have taken that specific drug. I simply want to count for each row, how many times the ID number in column one appears in any of the other 5 columns, and create a 7th column to show the total. So if someone from column 1 appears in columns 3 and 5, I want column 7 to say "2".

AR - will try that now. I had in mind a variable such as @counter. But will try your way. Thanks.