Unanswered: Export data/tables from Microsoft VB.Net to Excel/Access

Hi there, to get straight to it i've started work at this small charity and they need me to extract the tables and data from an old buggy system and create a new Access system but i'm having trouble extractig the data.

The backend uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000 runtime engine with an MSDE database engine. The frontend however is built with Microsoft VB.Net and the dotnet framework. I'm not sure how this changes things when trying to extract the tables. I've found the folders where SQL-notepad looking files are contained but am not sure what my next step should be.
    Any help/feedback you can give would be appreciated (even if its just to tell me im out of my depth!).

Thanks

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by thkly8 View Post
    Hi there, to get straight to it i've started work at this small charity and they need me to extract the tables and data from an old buggy system and create a new Access system but i'm having trouble extractig the data.

The backend uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000 runtime engine with an MSDE database engine. The frontend however is built with Microsoft VB.Net and the dotnet framework. I'm not sure how this changes things when trying to extract the tables. I've found the folders where SQL-notepad looking files are contained but am not sure what my next step should be.
    Any help/feedback you can give would be appreciated (even if its just to tell me im out of my depth!).

Thanks

Tony
    Are you trying to edit the 'notepad-looking' sql files? SQL Server doesnt store data in a text format!
    you will have to connect to SQL Server, write queries to pull data.

btw, why do you think moving from sql server to access will solve the problem? is the issue with SQL Server or the .nET code?

you can save the data as excel format..
    retrieve all data to record set
    create a csv file object, write data to it. then you can manually convert into ms access format

Quote Originally Posted by thkly8 View Post

Thanks

Tony
    i think those "SQL-notepad looking files" are logs files. dont know the way to extract content from log files :
    if anyone is aware of dealing with log files pls help me too