Question Unanswered: Automatic Last Updated Field

Hi Everyone,

I have a field where when I click a command "Send Email" the date automatically appears in the "Date Email Sent" field. Well, if I have to send another email, the date is replaced with the current date and the old date that was in the field is erased. I would like the old date to stay, and the new date to just be added. What is the best way to make this happen? Do I need to write code for this to happen? Thanks for any advice.

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by benz1984 View Post
    I would like the old date to stay, and the new date to just be added.
    Added where and to what: another row, another column, another table?
    Have a nice day!

I have the date appearing in a text box so it would need to be added to a text box unless in order to get multiple dates to appear everytime the send email button is pushed I have to change the text box to another control?

I meant: where and how to you intend to store the different dates? What "appears" in a control on a form comes from a table, either directly or through a query. If not, the data is "volatile" and it disappears forever when the from is closed.
    Have a nice day!

Hello,

It comes from a table as a field called "Last Updated". When I click the "send email" button it puts the date in the "Last Updated" field. However if I click the send email again on a different date, the date erases and puts the more recent date in its place. I would just like it to keep the last date and just put the new date along with it instead of erasing.

just put the new date along with it instead
    What do you mean with that? You can't store two pieces of data in a single field, especially if this field is defined as a Date/Time data type. You need a secondary table on the Many side of a One to Many relationship to do that properly.
    Have a nice day!

Ok that's what I thought. The date filed can only store one date and not add another without deleting the first date put in. What would be the best way to acheive the above?

Provided Answers: 19
    You'll need another Table and Form, for storing the Emails/Dates Sent.What you're describing here is the classic one-to-many scenario, with the 'one' side being the Addressee and the 'many' side being the Emails/Dates Sent. This is usually handled with a Main Form/Subform set up.

In general terms the Main Form would be a Single View Form and based on a AddresseeTable. The Subform would probably be a Continuous View Form (to better display the 'Emails/Dates Sent') based on a Emails/Dates Sent Table.

The Fields would typically be something like this:

AddresseeTable
    AddresseeID 'Primary Key
    AddresseeName
    AddresseeEmailAddress
    ...and so forth

Emails/DatesTable
    AddresseeID 'Foreign Key
    Emails/DatesID 'Primary Key
    DateSent
    ...and so forth

Once you've designed your Main Form and Emails/Dates Sent Form, based on AddresseeTable and Emails/Dates Sent Table, respectively, open the Main Form in Form Design View and add a Subform Control to it. The Subform Wizard will walk you through the process. When asked, base your Subform on the Emails/DatesSent Form. Seeing that both Tables the Forms are based on have a Field named AddresseeID, the Wizard should ask if you want to link the Main Form /Subform using these Fields. Answer OK and Bob's your uncle!

As you move through the Addressee Records in the Main Form, Access will automatically update the Emails/Dates Sent Records in the Subform and only show those Emails/Dates related to that particular Addressee.

Good luck with your project!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Create a secondary table with a foreign key column to the main table and a Date/Time ('Last Updated') column. Next define a relationship: One (main table) to Many (secondary table). You then store the date in the secondary table, adding one row to it every time you click the "send email" button.
    Have a nice day!